You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:15 pm 

We are considering a family vacation out east this summer, likely to PEI and New Brunswick. I was wondering if anyone can recommend some allergy aware and child-friendly restaurants and attractions anywhere in the Maritimes so we can better decide what areas to visit?

My son is allergic to milk/egg/peanut/tree nuts/peas and the kids are 4 and 7 years old. We will choose accomodations with a kitchen for the bulk of our trip but it would be nice to have the option of dining out a time or two at a restaurant that isn't McDonalds. :lol:

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:20 am 

Hi Nialla!

A couple of summers ago, my parents and I drove down to the Maritimes. On top of my peanut-treenut allergy, I am also allergic to fish and seafood ( iwasn't allergic to soy at the time). I thought that I would be living off of McDonald's too but I found that restaurants were VERY aware of allergies and made took great care to make sure that my food was safe. We went mostly to the touristy areas. And we were also camping, so we bought our own food and made most of our meals at our campsite. But when we did eat out, it was always at a restaurant. We even went to a lobster dinner for my mom's birthday on PEI where I had the best steak ever! I actually found that the restaurant staff was more aware of allergies there than at home in Edmonton! I was really pleased by how well I was treated.
My recommendation would be that if you find a restaurant that works for you, return to it. Also, thank them and even talk to the manager personally to thank them for their help. I don't remember any of the restaurants we went ot off hand, but PM me if you would like them and I'll look them up in my journal.
Have fun!

Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:52 am 

Can I hide in your trunk? I'm small, you won't even notice me. (I so miss my annual visits to PEI - this year I'm even missing a family reunion. :cry: )

We always stayed in a cottage with our own kitchen, and I never eat in restaurants, so I'm no help at all with that.

We did take our son to a place called Santa's Village about five years ago. I was impressed that when we entered all kids were given coupons for certain treats, which included a cookie to decorate. The cookie did not contain peanuts, but it was not labeled *peanut free* so when we entered, we were asked if our child was allergic to peanuts because Mrs. Claus baked some peanut-free cookies that were safe for anyone with that allergy. I'm not sure a 7 year old would enjoy this place, but it was great for little kids. I did not question them on awareness re other allergies, but was impressed with this one caring things they did.

Seriously though -- can I hide in your trunk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:36 pm 

(still trying to hide in someone's trunk this year? :lol: )

I travel to places where they have kitchens where I can make my own food... cross-contamination is a big thing in restaurants...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:46 pm 

We have the same problem when we are travelling. We just got back from Halifax were my 10 year old had more allergy tests done. We are only sure of a couple place that my children can eat. We eat at Pizza Hut and omit the cheese. At Sub Way they can have a sub. We are very careful about this and ask that just one person do the entire sub with clean gloves and clean knife.