Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

From our NewsReport:

A Massachusetts couple says an airline crew acted cavalierly when their nut-allergic daughter began to suffer an anaphylactic reaction on a flight from Orlando to Providence, Rhode Island.

http://allergicliving.com/index.php/201 ... -reaction/

What about people here: Have you run into airline crews that just don't get allergies? Or are you finding most pretty good these days?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:17 pm 

This is horrifying!! There are no words to express how awful this is. My heart goes out to the family for having to deal with this situation. :(

We flew United on a trip last year (it was our only choice) and both the phone representative and flight crew were rather indifferent about allergies, not seeming to take what I was saying as important, and reminding me that they cannot guarantee a nut-free flight. I was very anxious the whole trip, not touching, eating, or drinking anything the whole time we were travelling.

We're flying WestJet this spring and I've always felt comfortable on their flights because the flight crew are so attentive and take my allergies seriously, going so far as to ask where my EpiPens are in case of emergency. The flight attendants take time to introduce themselves and ask whether I would like a whole plane announcement or a buffer zone. (I'm aerosol reactive.) We try to only fly WestJet whenever possible because it's the only airline where I feel allergy-safe. (Both of our trips this year will be with WestJet.) I still don't touch, eat, or drink anything, but not having to constantly worry about someone behind me opening and eating a peanut butter chocolate bar or a bag of almonds makes travel much less stressful.

I had a bad allergy experience on Air Canada, before their new policies went into place, so I'm pretty nervous to fly with them again but may consider it if WestJet isn't an option.