You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: cottaging experiences
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:15 pm 

With summer coming, wondering if any of you head to a family cottage or rent one on a regular basis? How do you prepare? What have your experiences been like?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:07 pm 

Sorry to start this off with a negative story (I'm sure we'll hear of many positve ones - at least I hope so), but our cottage experience was not good with our son. At the time, he was 17 months old, so this could be part of the problem. Unfortunately, within 2-3 hours of arrival, he had an anaphylactic reaction (and we had not yet eaten anything) and we were off to the hospital. Fortunately, he was fine, but unfortunately, we had to pack up and come home as we did not feel we could keep a 17 month old safe in an environment that clearly included his allergens. At the time, he was still crawling, so it may be he came into contact with something on the carpet, but there's no way of knowing. We had another bad experience that same summer at a resort in northern Ontario which included meals (he had another allergic reaction during the very first meal requiring emergency treatment), so we've put vacationing on hold until he's older and can be more involved in caring for himself. He's now 4 years old, and beginning to care for himself, but he's still not quite there. We might try something next summer, but we intend to do a good wipedown of the kitchen when we get there, use a tablecloth, and bring cooking supplies for his needs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:14 pm 

We used to go to PEI every summer. Two day drive - eating out of the cooler.

We are dealing with peanut and sesame seed allergies, and it was at our rental cottage that we discovered our son is allergic to insect venom.

Here's some stuff we do:

I bring my bread machine, because we never know if there will be safe bread. The day we arrive we separate dishes - those we want to use get washed, the rest get packed into a few cupboards so that we know they have NOT been washed, and we can wash them if we later decide we need them. We also store the toaster away (crumbs).

Although the cottage is always very clean, I wash down all counters, microwave, and fridge. I check the bar-b-que to see if I need to clean it.

The woman that owns the cottage knows about my allergies. Every year she replaces different things at each of the cottages, so if she's getting a new grill - she saves it for me and i get the brand new one. :D There's definitely an advantage to being a regular. :lol:

Off hand, that's all I can think of regarding dealing with the food allergies in the cottage.

Regarding possible emergency services: We check where the nearest hospital is. Since it's quite far, we also check where the ambulance would come from. A previous trip to the ER (when we discovered son's allergy) let to us making the following plans: There was no phone in the cottage and cell-phone service is patchy (depends which way the wind blows) so we hop into the car and head towards the hospital. At a particular spot in the road there is always cell service - we would stop there and call 9-1-1, then proceed down the road to a specific spot where we would meet the ambulance. We would then transfer patient - and me with him if it's son - and go by ambulance to hospital. This would save us quite a bit of time in waiting for the ambulance.

Of course, we would also have at least three epi-pens with us - probably four.

It all sound so silly when I type it out. :lol: But, we don't really even think about these things - they are always in the back of our minds and they just happen.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:13 pm 

I'm replying to an older thread, but hopefully it will help someone looking for a nice place to stay in the Crowsnest Pass, Alberta.

2 summers ago we rented a cabin at the Crowsnest Mountain Resort:
http://www.albertaresort.com/cmr/accomm ... halets.php

We had a great time, and it was peace of mind having a hospital nearby (but we didn't need it -yay!).

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:29 pm 

We have rented cottages a few times with great success. We always ask if there are pets at the cottage before we rent and look for wood or tile floors to reduce the risk of environmental allergies.

When we arrive, we wash all the plates and pots and pans, scrape the BBQ, wipe down the tables and counters, etc to ensure there is no cross contamination.

We bring any special foods that we are not sure we can get from home and then do careful grocery shopping when we are there. We are from Ontario, but have rented cottages in both Manitoba and Quebec so we find we have to check labels carefully because the brands are sometimes different.

The kids always have a blast playing in the water. Our last cottage had a frog pond and my girls spent lots of time catching and releasing frogs. It surprised me how brave they were by the end of the week, when at the beginning they didn't want to touch them!

Most of the same rules apply as in my "Have Kitchen, will Travel" articles, except you don't have to worry about the flights!

Scott