You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:02 pm 

Travelling is too much fun to say no thank you to! But I totally understand. GET the cards and take them to the kitchen - don't rely on serving staff - chefs are more likely to understand. Asking to see the ingredients in the kitchen is also a good idea. I would avoid places that won't let you in the kitchen - no matter how busy - they shouldn't have anything to hide and it will make them better understand how dangerous it is for you. If they don't comply - go somewhere else. And unfortunately, always carry extra food with you (just add water soups etc) if you are with a group and they insist on eating in a specific place and you wish to stay, they cannot turn you down if you ask for hot water after you've explained your allergies. Just some ideas - I've taken sandwiches for my son to lunches , desserts(cupcakes or cookies) to birthday parties in restaurants- no problems.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:07 pm 

you probably should start thinking about getting an iphone, they have free translation appilcations which would be very helpful in this situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:55 pm 

My first suggestion is to get a kitchen when you travel so you can cook yourself and avoid eating out as much as possible. When travelling in Quebec, the ingredients are printed in english so shopping is safe. We usually only travel to countries where we don't speak the language with friends who do speak the language and that works for us. You can also do the translation cards, but I would still get a kitchen and minimize eating out. See my articles "Have Kitchen, will travel" online at Allergic living.

Post subject: Re: Lost in translation
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:59 am 

Audra wrote:
How do you handle allergy-related issues in places where you don't speak the language?

I think someone should make cards with "I am allergic to [insert allergy here]" in a variety of languages.

hehe, like the idea with the cards, but I really think that one should prepare himself before going to a place where you don't speak the language, atleast look up the necessary words in the dictionary beforehand! I wouldn't trust the waiters either though, better off telling them directly in the kitchen :P