You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: disney cruise
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:07 pm 

We have recently booked a disney cruise to the Eastern Caribean in Feb 07. I have two sons one with PA the other is PA, diary, egg, fish, and nuts, all of his reactions are ana. I am very nervous but have been told that disney is exceptional in their allergy awareness. Has anyone travelled with disney before?
Thank you
Stephanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:16 pm 

stephanie -- check out a previous discussion on cruise ships (further down on the list under Travel) -- http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=316

Post subject: cruise
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:14 am 

Ethansmom thank you.
Stephanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:59 pm 

Stephanie,

I went on a Disney cruise about 4 years ago and everything was fine for me. I am only allergic to nuts though. Perhaps you can phone and speak to someone with the company for more information. Generally we have found Disney to have very good customer service, so hopefully you can gain some details about their allergy protocols. I have also had good experiences dining at restaurants in Disneyworld. We are going on another Disney cruise in March 07, too bad we weren't going at the same time!

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:39 pm 

Soccermom,
Thank you for the feedback. Have fun on your trip.
Stephanie

Post subject: Disney cruise 2/07
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:36 pm 

Hi there,
I'm new to the forum, and found it by googling "Disney Cruise+peanut allergies". My family is also going on the Eastern Caribbean Disney Cruise in 3 1/2 weeks!! :D My 8 year old son has a severe peanut allergy, and when I contacted DCL customer service, they just said to make sure the travel agent made note of it (she did) and to print and fill out (have the doctor sign) the Medical form that you can download on the DCL site. We have cruised before with our son on NCL, and it was fine. We have heard that DCL is really good at handling food allergies. Do you have any other info? Maybe we're on the same cruise!
Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:37 pm 

Patty,
We may very well be on the same cruise, we depart on Feb 2 on Disney Magic. I am so nervous but hopeful that it will be a positive experience. I am not sure if you saw the latest issue of Allergic Living and the article on travelling with Disney. The organization is building quite a solid reputation in the allergy aware community.
I have just emailed someone else who just returned from a Disney Cruise who has a son with multiple food allergies. I will let you know what she had to say.
Stephanie

5 year old- eggs, nuts, fish, peas, environmental, and asthma.

Post subject: Re; cruise
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:04 am 

Stephanie,
It does indeed look like we're on the same cruise! I'm looking forward to hearing about what the person who just returned has to say. I'm also nervous, but if we're diligent, and the staff is aware, it should be just fine. We'll have to meet! Our party consists of my husband and myself (just your standard seasonal allergies), my 12 year old daughter (no food allergies, but has always had a total aversion to chocolate, so something tells me maybe there is something going on there...besides insanity! My son will be 9 in a few months and he has a severe peanut allergy, and mild asthma. My mother in law, and my step mother in law are also going. Weird, I know, but they get along very well, and the trip is to celebrate the one year diagnosis of my breast cancer, and completion of treatment! I can't wait!!!
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:55 am 

Patty,
Congradulations on your anniversary. We are going with my three sisters and thier spouses and children, and my parents. My two sons both have food allergies, as do I. As soon as I hear back I will let you know. It is a small world. My older son is having a birthday party in a few weeks and we have hired a clown/magician as it turns out her husband works for Disney and she will also be in the cruise.
Stephanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:24 am 
Site Admin

I was just reading this about your two families and the hired clown being on the same cruise...too funny!
I read a statistic that 50% of the general public know someone who has an allergy. I'm beginning to think they all know the same person.
I hope all of you have a great time!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:48 am 

Just wondering if any of you who are taking the Disney cruise must fly to where the ship is departing. What kinds of responses have you received from airlines regarding accommodating allergies (if any)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:55 am 

we fly Air Canada relatively frequently -- we get the usual "no guarantees" stuff from them. Once we ordered a fruit plate on recommendation and it should up with nuts on it so.... we pack all our own food, including drinks, board early and intro ourselves to the cabin crew. We do the typical wipe down and then settle in.

Worst experience was flying biz class and the other passengers grumbled because they cabin crew decided not to serve some snacks due to tree nuts and traces of nuts. Talk about babies having their candy taken away!

Overall the crew has been very understanding and sympathetic.

On the Disney Cruise, you'll have a blast. You're dining room servers travel with you to each of your restaurants so you'll be in the same hands for each dinner.

bon voyage
j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:58 pm 

Ethansmom,
We do have to fly from Edmonton to Florida. We are bringing all of our own food. In terms of nuts on board or cross contamination I have spoken with our allergist. he says that our biggest problem would be from many packages of nuts being opened at the same time, and the nut particles being circulated in the air. Air Canada as I understand does not serve peanuts. I have no guarantees. All I can do is my best to prevent any exposures. We will wipe down his seat and tray, bring his own food. This is my own level of comfort and others have their own levels of what feels right for them. Josh has many foods that he is allergic to and is constantly being exposed to them everywhere we go, we work hard at teaching him strategies of how to keep himself safe.
Stephanie

5 year old- eggs, nuts, fish, peas, environmental, and asthma.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:03 pm 

Thanks jeff and stephanie for your responses, I don't have any immediate plans to fly with my son but all this talk has really got me thinking about it and what to do. I would love to one day go on a Disney cruise or head off to Disney Land with my son -- so I guess without any policies in place to protect the allergic flyer, we're left relying on the kindness of the crew and fellow passengers to try and accommodate us. The thought of it kind of scares me...I remember reading elsewhere on this forum that the airlines were limiting the liquid that was brought in carry-ons (for security reasons) -- are these types of restrictions for food/drink still in effect?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:42 pm 

ethansmom:

Liquids can be carried on board but must fit in one clear plastic re-sealable bag. Exemptions are made for baby formula, baby food, milk and juice when passengers are travelling with a child aged two years and under.

More info here:

http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/english/index.shtml

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/ ... _rules.pdf