You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

I know how hard it is to convince others to give up their favorite recipes for traditional feasts. It got me thinking.... What do people say when they are facing a person with a terminal illness? "I wish that there was something that I could do or say..."

Well, anaphylaxis can be terminal. What can you do or say? Wash your hands... and stop with the eye rolling! I have been dealing with this for close to 13 years now and they WILL learn but it's slow. You deal 24/7. They deal maybe 3 hours/365. It's going to take them a while.

Surround yourself with those who love and respect you and for the rest, a simple, "Oh," and leave. You can explain why you left a day or two later. Less, drama and they aren't in a position to have to defend themselves.

If you stay with all the nuts put out, etc. and no one washes their hands. If they don't see a reaction, they are further convinced that it's no big deal. They don't see your emotions under your brave face!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:25 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
If you stay with all the nuts put out, etc. and no one washes their hands. If they don't see a reaction, they are further convinced that it's no big deal. They don't see your emotions under your brave face!

This! (x 1000)

My husband is my best advocate when we are at his family events. Most of them are just starting to understand a wee bit (after several years). There have been many events we walked in, they said/did something snarky/inappropriate about allergies, and we walked out. Less stress for me that way too. Nobody can enjoy themselves whilst in an unsafe environment.

Same goes when they make an accommodation (like removing those bowls of open nuts) and continuing to make negative comments/complaints about it. They didn't do it for the right reasons. Just leave.

It's an education principle that is proven to work: reward good behaviours and ignore the bad ones. Fighting negative behaviours adds attention to them, which only makes things worse. Heavily reward small progressions in the right direction. (Like buying a safe cupcake for you at a birthday party - and leaving it in it's original box for you to open.) They'll figure it out soon enough. Learning Theory 101.