You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:30 am 
Site Admin

I was at a Christmas party last night (small informal gathering 15-20 people) and the following things happened.

Once I arrived another guest, who was a good friend of the hostess and who helped her prepare for the party, invited me to try one of her shrimp appetizers. She claimed they were to die for and was reserving one for the hostess who was busy welcoming guests. When she told the hostess that she had one for her the hostess told her that she was extremely allergic to shellfish.

At the end of the evening, as things wound down, the last few of us helped clear the dishes. The hostess asked if we had tried a dip, she thought it was roasted red peppers. Another guest spoke up to say that she is highly allergic to red peppers and was glad she hadn't tasted it. I asked her if she had her Epi-Pen on her and she said it was upstairs in her purse (on the bed whith the coats).

Yet another guest piped up that she had an Epi-Pen but didn't carry it. Then she said that she thought she had an Epi-Pen but she hadn't really seen it in some time. It turns out that she has it because she was taking allergy shots and was giving them to herself. It was to counteract an allergic reaction if she ever had one while taking the shots (mold-no asthma).

Needless to say the conversation turned to allergies and food ingredients.

I was surprised to find that no one had discussed their allergies prior to the party and no one was concerned about cross contamination. I know the one with red pepper allergy was adult onset just a few years ago; the others, I'm not certain about.

Do you tell the host about your allergies? I sent out an invite and requested that no one bring food due to allergies and that I would be happy to accomodate any dietary concerns if they would advise me in advance. Is it just me?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:22 pm 

For my daughter who is anaphylactic to tree nuts we definitely tell people. For parties, we just take her food separately but still prefer no obvious tree nuts that other kids will be touching. For dinners at my in-laws I go over every item with my mother-in-law as she wants to make sure she has food to eat. :)

For myself, I can not eat strawberries but it's not anaphylactic so I just poke and prod food at parties or work functions and when in doubt I go without.

It really seems to depend on the severity of the allergy and more importantly, who is the host. Some people in our life really get it and take every precaution, others I don't even want my daughter in their house (e.g., brought tree nuts to a party because "only thought it was peanuts")

We have so many food restrictions in our home that immediate family are really the only people that serve us dinner! With friends we do more appies and desserts or order pizza.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:25 am 

We try to host parties ourselves for this reason, and for potlucks, make a lot of the food ourselves. For those people's houses that we do go to, we ask that they don't serve any nuts or peanuts, but apart from that, we bring our own food for the kids. I think it would be too restricting to also limit foods containing their other allergens (milk, egg and kiwi) since milk and egg are really hard to avoid, and their reactions aren't anaphylactic. If there weren't any other children at the party, I would still prefer the no nuts/peanuts, but would be less concerned, especially if it were only in the dessert and wouldn't be brought out until the end of the meal.

If it's my mom, then she makes sure she cooks food that my kids can eat, but with others, we just bring things for them and dish out their portions before other people do in case they cross contaminate with utensils, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:52 am 
Site Admin

Susan, Adults can be really bad about taking precautions for their food allergies.

One study AL reported on shows a real over-reliance on the ability to just "avoid" their allergens.

With multiple food allergies and anaphylaxis, I'll only eat at the homes of those I know and know get it. I thank hostess, send a quick e-mail about my allergies (before she/he has planned the menu).

I've gained a rep. for good salads, so I always offer to bring one. Sometimes also the dessert. Dressings and cakes/pies are of course the minefield of hidden ingreds - so I can relax when I've made or checked out.

With my allergies, I can't just wing it. If it's a buffet-style party, I'll eat first. Sometimes I'll take a plate have some veg. and cheese, so the hosts aren't even aware I'm not eating their stuff. I am there after all for the people, not just their food.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

Those dreaded parties are starting again... :swing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:09 pm 

Does anyone have advice for teens wanting to go to Christmas parties? My daughter plans to bring her own food but I want her to communicate to the hostess that she should not be around products containing peanuts and nuts, especially open bowls of nuts and peanut butter. It is hard enough being a teen and wanting to fitin but having to tell the hostess these restrictions takes quite a bit of courage.
When she was younger we always hosted all of the special events. The social group is a really nice responsible group.
Help wording these requests may make this easier.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:03 am 
Site Admin

I think it's great that she plans to bring her own food. She sounds like she's really taking charge of her allergies. :thumbsup
Perhaps you can have her mentally walk through the party and think about that bowl of nuts as a bowl of orange paint and as eat person dips their hand into the bowl, they come away with an orange hand.
Picture them transfering some paint to their mouths, the shirt sleeve of the person they greet, the glass they drink, the CD they suggest to play or the armrest of the chair they sit in. Picture the next person who shakes their hand, the host who clears the glasses, the person who plays the next CD...eventually, many surfaces are contaminated.
Let her come to the realization that it's easier to deal with the issue by making a simple request than it is to spend the evening in a state of anxiety.

Does she know the host well? I try to stick to the "pat them, poke them, pat them" approach.
She's bringing her own snacks, right? Maybe she can simply call them and tell them that she's looking forward to their party (pat). Advise them that they needn't worry about the menu because she will be bringing her own snacks (it will probably put them at ease), but that she does ask that they just not put any nuts out(poke). Reassure them that these simple steps are really all that is required to avoid a reaction. She wants them (and herself) to be able to focus on the party. (pat) She can also offer herself as a resource if they have any questions before or during the party.

Remind her that people invite her because they like her and the last thing they want is someone to get sick. Make sure that a couple of her friends know what to do if she does get sick and that she is not to go hide in the bathroom!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:28 pm 

Great suggestions Susan!

I especially like how you make sure they know that you don't expect them to make food but to request nicely that they don't have open nuts.

The orange paint analogy is also good for the host if they do not understand allergies!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

Oh! I meant for Cathy's daughter to do the mental imagery thing to recognize the issues...hadn't thought of the hostess but yes, that could work if you know her well.

Glad you appreciate it-not everyone gets me. :freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

Related to the original topic about adults who are cavalier about their allergies at house parties, thought it was time to post our full article on adults called "The Food Allergy Deniers".

See: http://allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=171

I run into adults with allergies a lot - they'll ask me about the mag and my allergies.
But when the topic turns to "so do you carry an auto-injector," they'll say - "oh no, I just 'avoid' that food."

Drives me crazy. I think at parties it can also be scary for hostesses not that familiar with allergy rules to find out by surprise that someone has allergies. Better to tell and be nice about you can bring your own food if that makes life easier.

Though I wouldn't go to a dinner where they were serving shrimp or mussels or satay sauce as a main. Too risky.