You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:39 pm 

I am so upset with myself. I made a point to tell my Uncle and Aunt about my food allergies and my enviromental allergies. I even told them my gum story but I suppose he where not listening. :roll: He pulled out gum and started chewing to which my my face turned pink and I started coughing. He even leaned over and breathed in my face as I doing something the computer. I didn't say a word so now I am using my breathing machine and.. allergies med.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:45 am 
Site Admin

You can explain to people but you can't make them absorb what you say and act on it. You did not fail, for what ever reason he chose not to listen.

Some people choose to test an allergy because it is just so foriegn to them to think that something as insignificant as a stick of gum could cause such a reaction.

Does he get it now? What was his reaction to your symptoms?

I would distance myself from people who act this way and intentionally cause health problems.

Surround yourself with people who respect you.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:09 am 

Don't think he even noticed! :roll:

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:45 pm 
Site Admin

Is he your mother's brother? Or by marriage?
Can you get word back to him that his actions sent your health into a tailspin?
I would avoid his company in close quarters.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:52 pm 

I have a relative who has brought allergens into my house and contaminated an entire meal making me not able to eat anything and she didn't even bat an eye. Thankfully she didn't cause a reaction but on one level, I understand how you must be feeling right now. I agree with Susan, I don't think you failed at all, some people just don't want to get it and sometimes it takes a drastic move on our part to make them realize the consequences their actions have. Perhaps distancing yourself for a while is a good idea and then if other family members or he ask why you're not around you can tell them it's because you value your life...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:39 pm 

He is my m oms brother. While I love him but also think him a pompus snob :roll: . He has always done things like this. So I just won't be near him. He invited us to his house to visit and for a few seconds I allowed my self to think about it but in reality my mother had enough trouble adjusting to my alleries while I visited her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:06 pm 

Hi Momofhalfadozen. I completey sympathize with you. Relatives can, at times, be hard to deal with. With friends ,who just don't get it, you can stagger your visits or stop altoghether. But with family, boys it makes it hard. I think most of us on this forum has had to deal with numerous occasions where family is involved and just can't seem to grasp the situation. Even saying "I could DIE" does not always get through. And you have to keep repeating over and over again why......

Also, what gum story were you referring to and why does gum make you react?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:42 pm 

My gum story ... I went into Best Buy thinking it was a safe place to be. No food ya know appliances and what not. Well, I did my shopping and took my purchases up to the counter. I smelled the fruit and at the same moment my face started swelling up. All this from the breath of the cashier chewing fruity gum. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:41 pm 

In our experience, relatives can be the worst! Our good friends have been amazing.

My daughter's first serious reaction was to carrots. When my sister-in-law showed up for my daughter's birthday she brought carrot cake :roll: I went into the basement and called my best friend and cried. The next year she again brought something that my daughter could not eat.

What is with some people?!?

We know when we go elsewhere that she can not eat everything but there is not one single nut or trace of nut in our house and we actually grill people before they set foot in our home or cars. Paranoid? May seem like that but to us it is keeping her home safe for her!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:10 pm 

I have a friend who I never get to see she lives about 10minutes down the road. We both homeschool and we are just busy but we find time to talk. Anyway, She stopped using orange cleaner just incase I had to come over. My Aunt refused to meet aywhere outside her home that was basted in orange and cinaminon two of the worst allergies for me. Go figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:38 pm 

It is surprising how some people just don't get it.

My daughter babysits for my friend and she got rid of cleaning products too that could be a problem.

I don't think friends like that even understand just how good it feels to know that they are cautious too!