You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:57 am 
Site Admin

It occured to me yesterday, as I sat at the restaurant, that those rules which I have been brought up with are old and obsolete.

"Don't eat in front of others unless you're willing to share."
We were at a brunch that we have gone to before (Grandma likes to take the family there). The staff are quite good at heating up our daughters food and I make sure to bring one of her favourites.

She asked if she could come with me as I got my plate of food. When she is taking everything in, she is quiet and has a serious look on her face (she'll make a good poker player-hard to read). She looked at all of the domed dishes and she watched the omlette chef prepare an omlette to order in front of us. She made suggestions as to what I should put in my salad.

She asked if she could follow each member of the group (there was only her grandmother, her father and I with her). She even ordered an omlette of her design for her father.

I felt rude, bringing her up there and showing her all of the food which she couldn't eat but she was intrigued and she wanted to know what they served and how it was presented.

It got me thinking that much of my concern over how she percieves events is tainted by my own perspective.

As much as I am concerned about a reaction from the vapours rising from the food (omlette station is well ventilated) or from contact with surfaces (we can control that fairly well), I suppose I need to let her explore the world around her carefully and with supervision.

She really enjoyed the experience, I felt sorry for the omlette chef who had a 7 year old standing in front of him, arms crossed, serious look on her face and watching his every move.

Other obsolete rules include:
"When invited to dinner, don't ask what is on the menu"
"Cover your mouth with your hand when you cough/sneeze" (newer version suggests that you use your arm if no tissue is available)
"5 second rule-food is still good to eat if it has been on the floor for less than 5 seconds"

Can you think of others?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:45 pm 

"Eat everything on your plate." when my daughter's allergies started she figured out most herself because food tasted funny or sour or just 'not right' or made her mouth itch...

"Don't send a meal back." ahem, it had allergens on it that we had told them about

"Don't eat in front of others not eating." my daughter isn't phased anymore at the mall when her friends eat and she doesn't.

Your daughter sounds very mature in her handling of the brunch.

These allergies certainly do seem to make our kids grow up sooner. My daughter started carrying her epi-pen at age 6 and it was sobering to explain to her what it was for --- didn't find out until recently that she thought that if it was used in error she thought she would die. For six years she thought that even though she took it everywhere :shock: .