You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:54 pm 

Would you or do you allow your peanut allergic daughter to use kiddie makeup, like lip gloss, blush, eye shadow?

My daughter is allergic to peanuts, tree-nuts and sesame. She is 5 years old and in the past, she has attended a couple of birthday parties where one of the Disney Princesses was present, and applied some "make-up" for all the little girls. I have always been present at the parties, and did not allow my daughter to put any of the makeup on. Of course, she has always been disappointed. I don't put any type of makeup on her, not even nail polish because of her allergies.

She received a birthday invitation today to a classmate's party and really wants to attend. This party will be held at a "kiddie beauty salon". All the girls will receive a makeup session, "manicure", dressup outfits, etc. etc.

I'm already worried about any peanut derivatives in the lip gloss, eye makeup, blush/rouge, face/body glitter. She already has sensitive skin (eczema). I'm thinking of letting her do "some makeup" - like the blush and maybe the glitter? I have no idea. I definitely don't want any lip gloss on her. But what about the other makeup? Any experience with this at all?

Thank you so much for your help!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:47 pm 

Make up is a concern, I have had reactions (hives). I think it is Clinique that has coconut in the lipstick so you do have to look at all the ing. could you find some product that she would be fine with and send it to the party this way they have the product that you know is fine to use on her. This way she will be included.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

Have you called the Kiddie Salon? You're probably not the first parent to worried be about this. Can you pick up some safe make up (Halloween?) and pull a switcheroo when it's her time to get made up? I would be worried about the make up and cross contamination from other little girls.

By all means go but find a safe way to participate!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:05 pm 

Thanks for the advice. Again, since I never put any sort of makeup on my daughter, even for Halloween, I didn't even think of Halloween makeup as being safe...is there a particular brand/product sold at Walmart, etc. that is safe to use? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

BC2007 said
Quote:
The best face paint I found (santa found) was for our daughter's hockey team. It comes in what looks like large felt pen tubes, it goes on like a thin lipstick almost, no leaking, no dripping when she sweats, no mess once it dries.

The front has a picture of a clown, they are actually called FACE PAINT MARKERS
water based, 14 ml. Demco Manufacturing Inc.
St. Hubert, Quebec

I would just get something that lists all of the ingredients and test it somewhere like the inner arm.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:48 am 
Site Admin

Gack! I just read this article and posted it under off topic. If you want a reason to avoid make-up on your child...heavy metal in kid's make-up! :freak :frightened
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5011