You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:35 am 

With Graduation parties, Weddings and other celebrations that often come up, I was wondering if in your area, you found a great Caterer that knew how to deal with Food allergies?

I'm not getting married or in need of a caterer, but I was curious, and thought that someone else might be too. And, when and if I do marry, I'll probably end of catering it myself because my list is really ridiculous. :rofl

Zero8 does sound very good, and if they cater, I know that would be one option for those in right part of Canada. Any others?

Thanks! :D

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:15 am 
Site Admin

I have found that some restaurants are really very good and enjoy the challenge. I think caterers would be the same. If you go in to the search with a positive expectation and good communication, I think you will find someone who can give you the service and products that you need.

Isn't that what catering really means anyway?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:43 pm 

You would think that a caterer would want to accomodate, but not all caterers can, or have the resources or even know how to. My sister's caterer couldn't and couldn't figure out how to either. :rofl Our own experience has been that if you have the money, you can buy what you want, but if you don't, you're out of luck. She was on a very tight budget, so was limited in what caterers she could use. They specialized in home style, meat and potato type cooking. :rofl

My brother didn't use a caterer and stuck to cold cuts, cheese and buns. That worked well. Everything was bought from a store, and the church people who helped out were told to not cross contaminate the cheese with the meat. Worked very well!

I'm hoping to have Kyt friendly everything, so I'll either have to have the money to train a caterer company to prepare my foods that I want at my wedding (assuming I even marry :rofl) or do it myself. We've yet to find a caterer who knows how make tofu taste like meat without adding green bell peppers, onions, and other stuff I can't eat. ;) My Sister asked several on my behalf. This was before even I knew how to pull this one off. :rofl

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:04 am 
Site Admin

Well, yes... $ = opportunity
You definately would need to work with the caterer and possibly bring the recipes.
Disney is very good for accomodation...maybe you could try a destination wedding?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:28 pm 

I think that the big problem is that the less expensive caterers just don't have the training to know what is actually in food, while the more expensive ones have gone to chef school or have some other training to know what the allergen is. I find this in restaraunts too.

You could find one you like and start their training now, long before you get married...

DS1 - Allergic to Horses, Cats, Dogs - Asthma, Eczema
DS2 - Allergic to Cats - Eczema, Asthma

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:30 pm 

Disney would be a good option for people. :D

I would agree that in general (recognizing exceptions to every general rule)... that the less expensive ones don't have the training of a good chef school. Not all Chef Schools are understanding of the strict Vegan lifestyle though I found out when I happened upon a blog by a Vegan who doesn't believe in the cutting of animals, Poultry etc., and definitely wouldn't cook Shellfish live. She quit the school.

Quote:
Hiebs said: You could find one you like and start their training now, long before you get married...

Thats a good idea! I never thought about that. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:08 am 

My son found one for his wedding. They decided to get married at a winery. Each winery has a caterer they use, so they checked out the different caterers and picked the winery that had a caterer that could deal with the dietary restrictions....me with peanut and sesame allergy, a vegan, and someone else with a different restriction (I can't remember what it was).

I was very nervous to eat, but it was so important to my son that his mother NOT bring her own food to his wedding.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:18 pm 

Thats cool! :D I can understand why your son would feel that way, especially after going to all that trouble trying to find someone who could pull it off. :D I'd trust Emeril Lagasse. Oh sure, I can afford him! :rofl

Actually, Pizza Luce`, if they cater, could pull it off. They could do something. They do have a Vegan /GF Pizza crust. I've not tried it yet, but its a thin crust like all the GF pizza crust are (its not cracker thin though). :D