You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:44 am 
Site Admin

This is the e-mail I just sent off to my mother about our visit for the holidays. My mom gets it for the most part but I find visuals help. Often, other brands look or sound similar but aren't safe.
Quote:
Yes, PC Organics Soy Milk is good as is Natura Brand soy milk. Make sure it's original-not vanilla (PC soy milk with a picture of a bowl not a glass) and not low fat.
The noodles were PC Blue Menu Whole Wheat Pasta (becareful not to get the Omega 3 ones as they do contain egg) . We usually buy Y&Y egg-less chow mien noodles at Food Basics (In the Chinese food section)
A safe bread is Dempster's White (in the foil package-don't get Wonder bread though!) or Smart 16 both are at Food Basics or Walmart.
We've given up on Fleischmmans' for salted margarine. Becel now makes a Vegan Margarine http://www.loveyourheart.ca/en_ca/products/vegan.aspx that is good. It's in a 2 lb tub and can be picked up at Metro...maybe Fortinos I'm not sure.
R-- likes Lays Potato chips flat cut best but she will eat rippled cut or Ruffles. She also likes Rolled Glod Pretzels (PC pretzles are safe but Rold Gold are more expensive and are real pretzel shaped so this is a treat!)
She doesn't like fizzy drinks (too much like a reaction) She does like cream soda (pink) and waters it down. She is also intrigued by club soda.
She's starting to branch into pickles and likes the sweet mixed (actually, only likes the onions and cauliflower.
She really likes navel oranges, canned peaches, fresh pineapple and apples. She is picky about grapes and will only eat firm crisp seedless red.
Can you pick up some Veganaise http://www.followyourheart.com/products.php?id=3 Earth Island Gourmet Soy Cheese Alternative (they have to get a shorter name!) mozzarella http://www.followyourheart.com/products.php?id=25 , and some PC or Dempsters Wraps/tortillas-Not Casa Mendoza (it contains milk)!. I make panini's on the Forman Grill or in a frying pan. Huh-some kids get grill cheese sandwiches, mine gets a panini! She is spoiled!
Bacon, ham or smoked turkey breast are hits. I buy Piller's sliced meats-I do not trust anything sliced at the deli but Piller's has informed me that their packaged sliced meats are safe.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:22 am 

You know what's funny. Anyone not dealing with allergies would look at that and go OMG! For us however this is the way we shop daily. :freak

Armed with your list how long do you think it will take her to do her grocery shopping today. :lol:

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:27 am 
Site Admin

She'll go to the mall that has both a Fortinos (Loblaws) and a Walmart and get just about everything on the list. It won't take her long. She means well but she has picked up the wrong bread on occasion, that's why I made the comments and added the links to wbepages with pics of the food.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:20 am 

I hope everything goes well. :D Great idea of linking to the actual product's picture. I also prefer Lay's flat potato chips over ruffles. They just taste better to me. :popcorn

I have a HUGE advantage. My sister goes shopping with my mother if they have to buy anything for me. My sister has never messed up yet. Amazing! She's better than I am with ME. :rofl

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:13 am 
Site Admin

Mum has a cupboard just for my daughters stuff such toaster, popcorn maker pasta and canned items etc! :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:29 pm 

Thats really cool! I'm glad she is that supportive of you and your daughter. :banana

:D My parents aren't there yet for me. But then again, neither was my Sister and I. It was only earlier this week that my Sister and I remembered that technically, I SHOULD be using a separate toaster if I was to be serious about GF. :rofl She wants to replace her toaster and make the new toaster strictly GF and buy only GF bread and waffles, but we have to wait until she gets a job so we can get her and her son tested first. :D I don't mind the wait. I had my GF Waffle fix for a few months. :popcorn

Asthma, SHF, GF, EF, Allergic: Meat, Poultry, Laurel, Mustard, Gras, Mallow, Plantain, Flacourtia, Pine family; ETOH, Vinegars, CremeTartar, Cucumbrs, Fenugrk, Most of Lily, Myrtle, Parsley, Nightshade, Composite familys. Pomgrante, Litchi, Starfrt