You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Friends who get it!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:50 pm 

DS has been invited to 2 different birthday parties this weekend. Both of my girlfriends have done everything to make the party as easy and stress free for me as possible. I keep getting quick emailes asking if this or that juice is ok. I've had a few messages on my answering machine (from when they are actually in the grocery store) and they read off ingredients on a bag of chips etc. to confirm before buying. And get this, they know DS won't eat this food as it will all be opened. They are just trying to have everything as safe as possible in case ds gets into other food.

The did offer not to open chips etc. and let me take some out for ds first but I said no. In a few years when he will understand that the chips are safe BECAUSE I took them out first but right now it could confuse him and undo some of my embedding in his brain...only food from mommy etc..

But the thoughtfulness and effort is so heartwarming. Neither dealt with allergies until they met us, but they both (and a few other friends) have really tried to learn and understand. Funny how friends sometimes try more then family???
I just got another message from my girlfriend saying ds' loot bag is all unopened goodies with no food items - is that ok with me. :huggy

Outgrew eggs, fish, shellfish

Post subject: Re: Friends who get it!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:51 pm 

Will that be a new slogan "I'm THAT friend!" :huggy Love those friends!!! Having been on both sides, I didn't get how wonderful those simple actions are until I was THAT mom instead of THAT friend.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:23 pm 

That's wonderful!! I have found some friends to me MUCH more understanding than family members. In fact a little girl from DSs class told me that when her mom sends peanuts with her lunch she throws them out (school has no policy). I was going to tell her that she didn't have to, but I really appreciated the thought and just told her it was sweet of her.

On that note, I wonder what the students with the FL girl would have said done - it seems it's the parents who are all in an uproar.

Didn't mean to hijack!! I'm so happy for you & DS!! :bouncygreen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:14 pm 

B-party tonight.

Ds was ok until the transformer cake came out, then my cupcake (awesome as it was :lol:) didn't seem so great. [Mental note, buy cool figurines to stick on the top of cupcakes!!! ] Tears welled up in ds' s eyes but I kept a strong front (ignored my mommy emotion) and just said the cake wasn't safe and mommy brought him a safe treat. I don't want him knowing it upsets me to see unable to share as then he will just feel self pity is justified.
On an heartfelt note the kids ate pizza first, I knew and had brought ds his own pizza. A dad (son's friends with our son) forgot about ds' allergies and joked to me that our son was the only one eating his pizza with a fork. I just find that letting him eat it with a fork is easier as once I took a piece and ds dropped it and - then he had no food. Also as he is eating at a table with unsafe food there is no chance he touches his food with dirty hands. Anyway the dad is a friend and felt badly but his son heard this (4 yrs old) and on his own got up and went to the plastic forks, brought it to me, said I'll eat with a fork too and sat down and ate his pizza with a fork. He didn't even have a knife so he just stabbed and shredded his pizza. :D :huggy
Buddies, they stick together, even if it means eating pizza with a fork. :huggy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:18 am 

Sweet. Glad to hear you have such thoughtful and considerate friends! I have some really great friends too re allergies!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:44 am 
Site Admin

Wow, what a great friend! :banana :happydance

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:22 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
Anyway the dad is a friend and felt badly but his son heard this (4 yrs old) and on his own got up and went to the plastic forks, brought it to me, said I'll eat with a fork too and sat down and ate his pizza with a fork. He didn't even have a knife so he just stabbed and shredded his pizza. :D :huggy
Buddies, they stick together, even if it means eating pizza with a fork. :huggy

Love that! What a compassionate 4 year old. Incredible. :banana Brought tears to my eyes.

We were also at a birthday party last night and wish I could have had the allergen-safe cupcake my daughter had instead of the cake :wink:

Wow, just really loving that 4 year old boy's reaction. :banana :banana (definitely worth of two dancing bananas!)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:38 pm 

:huggy to that friend. I feel for you BC2007 when you said this
Quote:
Tears welled up in ds' s eyes but I kept a strong front (ignored my mommy emotion) and just said the cake wasn't safe and mommy brought him a safe treat. I don't want him knowing it upsets me to see unable to share as then he will just feel self pity is justified.
Good job, what a fence to walk though eh? I remember when my kids were little (well, still now) it's a fine line to walk....on one side of the fence is toughen up, cause this is life and on the other is that part about validating those feelings.....I know just where you are in this and know you will both be fine.....but in the moment when they are so young and cute.....whew...

walloet snuck in before I hit submit (love that the forum (thx, Travis) lets me review) :banana for you BC2007 and a :huggy as well (dd says she can't believe that we get away with using so many of these characters..apparently on some sites we would be reprimanded)

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:39 pm 

Quote:
dd says she can't believe that we get away with using so many of these characters..apparently on some sites we would be reprimanded)

The day A.L. takes away the emoticons is the day I stop posting. :rofl Who would limit the use of smilies :confused :scratchy

Ds just got back from his second party (the family of the little boy who got the fork who was at the party yesterday). The mom had a tiny bag of hickory sticks, ds's favorite chips. She asked me yesterday what his favorite were and went out and bought them just for him. :huggy

Ok, I snuck in 4 characters.... :mrgreen: ...ok 5

You guys are GREAT! I love it when I share something that others might just see as insignificant but you all get how great it is. :happydance

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:47 pm 

BC2007 wrote:
I love it when I share something that others might just see as insignificant but you all get how great it is. :happydance

Very true!

Speaking of emoticons - anyone else's computer have the delay after hitting Reply or Submit and the emoticons freeze. May be pathetic, but it makes me laugh to see these animated emoticons frozen.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

Why would you be reprimanded? :scratchy
I love emoticons :happydance :swing :bouncygreen :frightened :banana :rofl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:21 pm 

Susan, the green bouncy ball only seems to freeze on your page. :rofl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:31 pm 

walooet wrote:
Speaking of emoticons - anyone else's computer have the delay after hitting Reply or Submit and the emoticons freeze. May be pathetic, but it makes me laugh to see these animated emoticons frozen.
me too...but I am easily entertained.

BC2007 and Susan....He seems fine on my end...it must be just you guys.

Susan...she says it slows things down...??

dh-allergy cats, bugspray and guava, outgrew egg allergy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

Maybe I'm just special? :damnedcomputer