You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:22 am 
Site Admin

I read a lot of stories here and on Facebook about people in the allergy community sharing accommodation with friends or family be it visiting or travelling with them. It seems that whether we have them stay with us, we stay with them or we all share a hotel or condo, friction can arise.

After reading many such stories about arrangements that have gone wrong allergy wise, I think it's time to be proactive. I’ve been thinking about it and this is a list of what I’ve come up with, please share your thoughts with me. Maybe together we can come up with an action plan that will help make future experiences create positive memories.

It's hard to figure all the details before hand because we wouldn't dream of doing these things but we really need to have ground rules upfront for visitors or travel companions who share hotel rooms/condos.
1. Identify the goal. It is about the experience and safety means positive experience.
2, Allow the other party to be an active participant in the discussion so that it doesn't seem to be "your way or the highway".
3. List all allergens and discuss cross contamination.
4. Discuss comfort level regarding risk of exposure.
5. Determine what might be deal breakers.
6. Get consensus of what is acceptable.
7. Recognize that situations may occur that have not been considered and agree beforehand that these may need to be discussed.
8. Remember that it is precisely because you have a GOOD relationship that you are embarking on this joint venture and that this is necessary in order to preserve the relationship.
9. Approach it from the perspective that yes it is a huge effort on their part to step into your shoes and they will probably make mistakes but it is their efforts to try that shows the level of caring NOT their missteps...it is a huge learning curve and we live this 24/7.
If we forget to mention it at the beginning, how can we expect them to think of it?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb