* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:50 am 

Hi Lisa,

I agree with you.

Quote:
I think there are some times for attempting to be patient and other times when frustration is natural and even called for.

Although I must say that I am able to accomplish more when I chanel my anger and frustration than when I just let it go.

For example:
My childrens school is supposed to be peanut/nut free but I was continually finding peanut/nut containing wrappers strewn on the school grounds.
My son was almost sent on a field trip with a parent that did not know he had life threatening allergies nor did she know how to use an epi-pen. (I don't even want to think of what would/could have happenend)

I don't know where you are from but in B.C. Catholic schools are funded 50% by the government and the other 50% is private funding. Therefore we are headed by the Archdiocese.

I approached the School Principal. Got nowhere.
I approached the Parish Priest. Got nowhere.
I approached the Parent Education Committee. Got nowhere.

Why? Because the Archdicese did not have a policy. Therefore they are unable to make one.

That is when I turned my anger and frustration into an opportunity.

I wrote a letter to the head of the Archdiocese requesting that a policy be put in place.
A few days later I received a call saying that she agreed 100% with my letter. A week later the policy details were started.

The Archdiocese has now purchased enough copies of "Anaphylaxis in Schools & Other Settings" for all of the Catholic Schools in the lower mainland.

My childrens school has now posted on their website that there are life threatening
allergies in the school along with an emergency plan and a link explaining allergies.

The school has also asked me to be on a sub committee for allergies so that I am able to keep the school up to date. (They had never heard of a twinject )

I honestly think that if I had just acted in anger and blown up I would not have accomplished anything. This way I was not only able to protect my children but also the many other allergic children that attend Catholic schools in the lower mainland.