You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:56 am 

I'm so excited! DH & I have just joined a gym again. We used to be members of a gym but they allowed food in their childminding room so we decided not to renew our membership with DD's severe food allergies.

A new gym opened up close to us and they have a no food policy in their childminding room! We did the tour last night and tried to leave DD in the room but she wanted to come with us. But before she decided not to stay I asked to leave her Epipen with them just incase which was fine. I also asked if the girl knew how to use one. No. Not surprisingly so I pulled out the trainer, did a demo and then had her try it.

Today my neighbour just stopped by. She goes to the same gym and was talking to one of the girls that works in the childminding room. Apparently they're going to post a sign letting parent's know that there is a child with severe food allergies and ask them to wash their children's hand before coming in and to do their best to avoid the quick stop to Tim Horton's on their way into the gym :D I think asking them not to eat her allergens is a bit much - I have to be realistic, but I do appreciate it! But I'm thrilled that they'll be asking the parent's to wash their kids hands before entering! Yay! And the girl who will be watching the my kids when I'm most likely to go used to watch a Peanut Allergic child so is familar with allergies and how to use an Epipen!

I'm so happy! WOO HOO

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:03 pm 

That's awesome! Nice to see that such a place exists. :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:11 pm 

That's terrific, mygirlsyd! it's so nice to get these small victories, isn't it?

Marla

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:25 am 

That is fantastic. Good for you!

Perhaps you should print out a sheet explaining how to use the epi-pen and describing the signs of anaphylaxis to post in the daycare, ideally near where the epi-pen will be, in case there's a new person who comes in to look after the kids.

It's amazing that a little daycare like that gets it and some schools or teachers don't...

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:26 pm 

How wonderful for your family! Congratulations!

Daisy