You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Ombrelle Sunscreen
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:27 pm 

We've been using Ombrelle (for kids) for nearly two years now and have never had any problems with it until recently. A few weeks ago, I noticed that DD (4 years old) broke out into hives shortly after I applied the sunscreen. I strongly suspected that it was the Ombrelle, but I couldn't be certain, since we were at the cottage with a host of "new things" around and the fact that we've been using it for so long. The hives went away after I gave her a bath and washed off the sunscreen.

On Sunday the same thing happened, however this time, her rash has not subsided, and in fact, it has become worse than it was on Sunday (it's now Tuesday night). I know that it was definitely the Ombrelle, and the whole reaction is a mystery to me. DD is anaphylactic to nuts, she used to be anaphylactic to dairy as a baby, and she also reacted strongly to Coppertone Waterbabies as an infant (which is why we've relied on Ombrelle for so long!).

I know there are no nut or peanut products in Ombrelle, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what else it might be in the sunscreen that is causing this reaction. I know that you can develop new allergies at anytime, but it also seems strange to me that she developed such a strong allergy to the same sunscreen she's been using for years, over the course of a week (the last time we used it prior to the first reaction at the cottage).

Anyone have any insight or a similar experience?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:06 am 

Not with sunscreen (I've started using sunblock anyways--sunscreen has a chemical that alters the skin so that it doesn't absorb UV rays. sunblock is a physical barrier blocking UV rays so it doesn't have those chemicals.)

But I did have a similar experience with a topical acne medication. I used a tube of it without incident. Then I took a break from it. The morning after trying a new tube, my face was red, itchy, stinging, hivy.

Last edited by Helen on Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:29 pm 

We've been told by our allergist to avoid sunscreen as much as possible as the more we use it on our son the greater chance he will react. I've also got a friend who's 9 year old has just developed a reaction to the only sunscreen that he hasn't reacted to in the past.

I've been searching for sunblocks with Zinc Oxide as the only active ingredient - it has taken a while :?. I found Newco Natural Technology Sunblock with Zinc Oxide at one health food store. Encapsulated Zinc Oxide is the only active ingredient (doesn't leave a white film). It is only SPF 15, but all I could find.

http://www.organicteatreeoil.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:49 pm 

myfreckleface
My two year old has also had two reactions to ombrelle. He has also reacted to another sunscreen which I can't remeber the name of. Both products contained something called parisol. We can use suncreens without incident that do not contain parisol. I did a literature search on pubmed and found a few reports of others reacting to this ingredient. My son became swollen in his eyes, hives, and total body flushing. He has nut, egg, dairy and fish allergies. I initially thought that maybe there were one of these ingredients in the sunscreen but from what I could find out this was not the case.
I wish you good luck.
Stephanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:35 pm 

Thanks for all your replies and all the helpful information. I have to look into sunblocks and parsol in more depth. I tried to make an appointment with her allergist, but unfortunately they are on vacation for most of the summer and can't see DD until the beginning of September!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:01 pm 

ds's allergies are similar to Stephanie's son's, and we have been okay with this product: http://albabotanica.com/?id=72&pid=140

Since this is his 1st year to use sunscreen (too young last summer), I searched to find something that I felt okay about using on him, and this was at Amaranth Whole Foods, here in Calgary.

Marla

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:07 pm 

Hello everyone, I am back from holidays. We use ombrelle..and have since last year. Neither of my girls have ever had a problem with it. I use it as well, and I am fine too. In the past I have broken out in rashes from sunscreens that are left over from the previous season (either I bought it last year, or it was made last year and sat on a shelf). I have contacted manufacturers about it and their best guess is that sunscreen gets taken everywhere, heated, cooled and stored for long periods of time where it can grow bacteria, spoil, and have its composition changed.

Myfreckleface, is your bottle new, or did you have it from last year? If it is new you could contact the manufacturer to check the stamped on code to see if it really is new..or was stored at a wearhouse since last year)

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:14 pm 

I stopped using Ombrelle a few years ago, as my daughter got hives each time I used it on her. I can't explain it, but it was certainly isolated to the Ombrelle.