You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Allergies in pregnancy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:15 pm 

Any pregnant women here with severe allergies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:10 pm 

Not currently pregnant. Did have one baby born after developing my allergies to peanuts and sesame seeds.

(Is it time to crack open a bottle of bubbly?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:36 pm 

(No bubbly for me. It's non-alcoholic beverages for the next few months. <g>)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:38 pm 

I have several life-threatening allergies (food and environmental) and am 15w3d with our first.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:48 pm 

Krasota,

Oddly enough, my allergies were really under control when I was pregnant. (At the time, they were GI only.) I had been on an elimination diet for about 3 years post-diagnosis when I became pregnant. I was able to "slip-up" every once and a while with no GI symptoms. (And I did allergy shots at the time for my environmental allergens.)

Hope you have the same results. Loved being pregnant; ate like crazy, but didn't gain too much weight. I craved real food, not sweets.

Take care,
Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:46 pm 

Without my meds, my environmental allergies are out of control, which means my OAS is rather severe. I've been breaking out in hives on a regular basis.

No slipping up is allowed for me. My food allergies and latex allergy are all anaphylactic. My diet is very strict. No cheating.

I've been soy-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, and papaya-free for years (along with several other things I'm allergic to), but the foods are easy to avoid. I've had to cook my own stuff for eons, so I'm used to that. It's the environmental stuff that's heinous.

Add in the pregnancy sinuses and I've been miserable. Yes, I use nasal irrigation, but it's not enough.

Oh, yeah, and I'm severely allergic to cats. All my closest friends are cat-owners. Without my meds, I can't spend time (out in public, not at their homes) with them at all. :/

I'm going back on Accolate soon. I need to be able to breathe and I need some relief from the urticaria.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:58 am 

Oh, krasota, I hope you manage to find some relief. That would be so tough. Maybe a vacation to Alaska is in order? :lol: Gotta be less pollen and mould there than in Va.

But congrats on the pregnancy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:04 pm 

Daisy, I also found my allergies were not as bad when I was pregnant. At that time, I was ana. to sesame seeds, but peanuts were more of a major nuisance. I avoided it completely anyway. I was still having a bit of trouble because I had not completely figured out what had trace amounts -- so I was still having mostly minor reactions from eating things that had trace amounts.

Krasota, I had called Sick Kids Hospital here in Toronto before getting pregnant to find out what I could/could not take. There are some antihistamines that were believed safe to take during pregnancy. Have you spoken to both your OB and an allergist to see if there's anything you could take?

Andea, how about some ginger ale to celebrate? I don't drink either.

And congratulations to both of you. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:29 pm 

Thanks, AnnaMarie! :)

I'm at the beginning of my sixth month, and my main concern has been ensuring that I avoid my allergens.

Anyone else having fun with acid refux and its triggering of asthma? So far, it's only happened a few times, but it's not pleasant when it does.

Last edited by Andrea_MASG on Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:18 pm 

I think you're doing the right thing not to avoid all the top 8 allergens. The experts just don't have the science to back up that kind of recommendation at the moment, and I would think it would be very challenging to get enough proper nutrition.

I was at an allergy conference last weekend and the talk now is that perhaps all this avoidance is causing kids' allergies to be more prevalent....!

So what I take from that is that the experts just don't know what to recommend at this point. It's a bit of a crap shoot. (But if it were me, and if I had it to do over again, I would avoid peanuts and nuts.)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:28 pm 

Now that I'm out of the first trimester, I'll probably go back on my antihistamines, but I normally require a third-gen, an antileukotriene, and a first gen on a daily basis. And I'm not comfortable taking that much to control the symptoms completely. I'll probably go back on the Accolate soon and maybe the loratidine.

My OB is of the "no meds stance". My GP is more reasonable. I no longer see an allergist. I've been diagnosed for so long that I just don't need to go when my GP is perfectly capable of treating/prescribing what I need.

I'd love to move north. I'd love to move way north. My husband, however, is less than enthused about the idea of a real winter.

VA weather is so pathetic. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:33 pm 

Andrea,

Many congratulations! Hope you are feeling well. Please keep us posted with updates. I love the "New Baby" threads as we need a lot of happy information to balance out the "reactions" threads. :D

Enjoy,
Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:43 pm 

Krasota,

I'm not a fan of nasal irrigation; my microbiology background makes me worry about introducing something into my sinuses that is worse than what ails me. But I have had luck with saline nasal sprays. (I react to some preservatives, so I found a canned one at the pharmacy that was just pure saline.) But for the pregnancy sinusitis, the only relief I got was from hot teas and lots of water. It's amazing what you can flush out of your body. :shock:

Have much fun,
Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:03 am 

Karen,
Which allergy conference did you attend? Was it open to the general public? Any other news of interest? I avoided only peanuts and nuts during my second pregancy but I avoided milk, eggs and nuts during breastfeeding. It's so hard to know what to do.
Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:51 am 

I've been doing nasal irrigation for years. It's kept me off antibiotics for over a decade. And I used to be on antibiotics more than I was off of them. My first allergist recommended it any every allergist since has been a proponent.

The few preservative-free salines are too cold for irrigation. The water needs to be fairly warm. I'm allergic to the preservatives, too.