Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:48 am 

Andrea,

Congratulations! Don't know how I missed the announcement on this page before--must have fallen asleep at the keyboard :lol:

krasota, I wasn't aware that the saline soln needed to be stored in the fridge. do you make your own saline soln?

I did try the nasal irrigation idea . . . but I just bought one bottle. The delivery was too high pressure and caused bleeding (I wonder if there has been some thinning after years of coricosteroid use. My doctor doesn't seem to think that I need to worry about it, however.) Plus my sinuses are too blocked for the saline solution to get very far . . . so I never tried the experiment again. I'm undecided about whether I should try again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:06 am 

The preservative free saline is in a somewhat pressurized container, so it's *cold* from the pressurization. Plus, it's winter where I live. ;)

I use a bulb syringe, which is old-fashioned and definitely has the potential to cause infections (it's easy to use too much pressure and push gook into the ears). I use it regularly so that I don't *have* blocked up passages. If I already have them, I have to find another way to clear the passages somewhat. Guaifenesin (which I use sparingly while pregnant) and TONS of hot liquids help.

My husband uses a neti pot. He loves it. Cannot recommend it enough. You might look for a neti-pot. He's pretty much cleared up his post-nasal drip with it.

Some folks find straight saltwater too irritating and add a pinch of baking soda as a buffering agent. I don't, but you might try that. And while there's a basic recipe for the saline, some folks prefer slightly more or less salt to water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:19 am 

Quote:
The preservative free saline is in a somewhat pressurized container, so it's *cold* from the pressurization

I've never heard of a neti pot before (but I looked it up in Wikipedia). I'm going to give nasal irrigation another try. The nasal corticosteroids sort of work for me. . . but not that much. Thanks so much for the advice----I've learned quite a lot from you on the allergy message boards![/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:06 pm 
Site Admin

Andrea and krasota, belated best wishes on the great news.

Helen, krasota, fyi, if it helps - my asthmatic brother swears by nasal irrigation. I keep meaning to try. A side benefit would be: then he would stop mentioning this disgusting topic. :lol:

(Edited by Gwen to add brother's tips from a different thread):
As a chronic allergy/asthma sufferer (allergies to mold, pollen, dander, hay fever) i have found that a cardio workout (followed by a hot shower of course) really opens the airways and allows me to "clear out" (ugly details below!) my lungs and sinuses....
here is a tip for the shower (the ugly part)...

steam opens your airways of course, but assist this with nasal irrigation: buy an infant nasal aspirator in the supermarket and keep a plastic cup and small bottle of table salt in the shower. each shower, add a little (about 1/2 teaspoon) of salt to the cup, mix in the warm shower water and blast away (in your nose silly!). as you blow your nose and see the ugly results, just remember: this regime does help minimize/prevent/alleviate sinus congestion. you'll feel better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:26 pm 

Great tips! Thank your brother for me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:29 pm 

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone! Sorry it's taken me so long to reply here.

I'm in my 8th month now. Not much has changed in terms of food allergen reactivity (maybe a bit more reactive at times), but I must be tested for the meds. to be used during labour. One wonders why this wasn't thought of by the medical powers-that-be before I became pregnant, hmm?

The asthma is a bit more reactive due to acid reflux (common, especially toward the end of pregnancy).

What I'm finding unnerving is that I've been craving restaurant food, which I don't eat. Visions of delivery pizza are dancing through my head. ;) There's no chance I'll eat it, of course. I usually come up with homemade substitutes instead.

And, of course, I'm also craving pickles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:15 pm 

Thanks for the update--it's good to know that everything is going well (aside from the reflux . . . which can be painful, I know. And not so good for getting enough sleep.) Good luck with those tests for drug allergies. When you are in labour is one time when you really, really don't want to have an allergic reaction!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:34 pm 

About six weeks ago, I added a new rash to my repertoire . . . . it can most easily be described as micro-hives. Tiny blistery patches that burn and itch and spread. They come and go and are currently on the insides of both elbows and knees. I've also had it on my forearms, calves, and the backs of my thighs. The OB thinks it's just an allergic rash, not PUPPS or anything hormonal.

It's frustrating, because I don't eat anything I'm allergic to. I gave up eggs because the iodine in them often worsens skin erupts like eczema and DH. And if I eat eggs, the rash worsens, but if I eat them when the rash is absent, there's no problem. I'm not allergic to them, they're just helping my skin misbehave. *sigh*

Otherwise, I'm happy. ;) 29 weeks today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

Nice to hear the pregnancy updates.

Though Krasota, that is annoying about the rashes. Do you think hormonal changes could be part of such rashes?

Since researchers now know that hormones can play a role in either improving or aggravating asthma/allergy ...

Gwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:46 pm 

Personally -- albeit anecdotally speaking -- I notice a slight change due to hormones, but mostly when I'm not pregnant.

I've been thinking about it, and perhaps the most important thing I've noticed about the interrelationship between pregnancy and allergies has been the importance of delegating. For example, now, toward the end of the pregnancy, I find myself too tired to do much. (The same was true of the beginning of the pregnancy.) Since it takes a lot of energy to make the phone calls to food companies, and to prepare meals from scratch, it's important to have friends or family who can take over these tasks -- at least on occasion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:08 pm 

Just a quick note to say that it's been a very tiring week, as I'm on bed-rest. If I owe any of you an e-mail, it may take another week or two, but I will get to it a.s.a.p. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry to hear it, Andrea. Take good care of yourself.

At least not too much longer to go ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:44 am 

Thanks very much, Gwen! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:48 am 

One of the challenges of balancing pregnancy and allergies is determining whether symptoms such as itchiness are due to an allergic reaction or to pregnancy.

Yesterday, I found myself itching all over. It was maddening. I think I've narrowed it down to a couple of foods, but on the other hand, it could still simply be hormonal. I'm still a bit itchy today. There is a liver condition that can cause itchiness in the third trimester, so I'm not simply assuming that it's allergy. A day or two without eating the foods in question should be most revealing, I hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:22 pm 

I hope the hives clear up soon! That sounds scary. Let us know how things are going.