You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:05 pm 

Quote:
Millions of kids and their families are affected daily by peanut allergies, even if they, themselves, don't have one. That's because food allergies -- including allergies to peanuts -- are on the rise, leading many schools and day-care centers to adopt peanut restrictions and peanut-free zones, and even to ban peanuts altogether. There is no known cure for these potentially life-threatening allergies, which is why education and awareness are key to keeping children with food allergies safe.

The new ARTHUR episode, "Binky Goes Nuts," and its companion educational guide, "Binky Goes Nuts: Understanding Peanut Allergies," aim to build an awareness of peanut allergies and give kids the tools they need to help their food-allergic friends. "Binky Goes Nuts" premieres on PBS KIDS GO! Friday, April 8, 2005, and encores Monday, May 9 (check local listings) during national Food Allergy Awareness Week (http://foodallergy.org/FAAW/faaw.html). In this episode, when Binky discovers that he's allergic to peanuts, he has so many questions: Will he be forced to live without Chinese food? Will he ever again be able to eat with his friends? And most importantly, will his mom ever calm down? Binky learns that the best way not to go nuts is to be well-informed, and to understand his allergy.

Full story.

Very cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

That's great! I just copied this to another forum I post on. It's all about getting the message out there. :)

Post subject: Binky Goes Nuts
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:27 pm 

Sounds good to me. Thanks for the info.

Post subject: I saw that
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:28 pm 
It was a great episode and i love it so much, well of course i video taped it and of ourse i took it in to class. oh and thank you for sharing that. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:53 pm 

I'd love to get a copy of that Arthur episode for my DS. I'd even bet his teacher would show it in his class so the kids understand better why they can't bring in peanuts etc. Maybe I'll try contacting PBS and see. Thanks for letting us know about it. I had never heard of that episode before. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:57 pm 

Oh man, Binky's Mom's reaction was pretty much the same as ours. My daughter kept laughing whenever Binky's Mother did something protective (I'll never say overprotective) that we had done.

good stuff
j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:50 pm 

hey canuk, if you find out if it's available for ordering online, could you let us know? Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:48 pm 

I emailed PBS directly and here is what they sent me back ...

Hi and thanks for writing! We’re so glad you have such an interest in episode #910, “Binky Goes Nuts!” Unfortunately, the video is currently not for sale in stores. However, keep your eyes peeled! It has been high in demand and hopefully will be out soon. Until then, you are welcome to tape the episode right off your television for personal use (you may also use the video for educational purposes for up to one year after the broadcast date). The next airing date for “Binky Goes Nuts” is June 17th, so be sure you don’t miss it!

I'm going to mark it on my caledar to videotape the episode! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:51 pm 

Fantastic! Thanks SO MUCH for sharing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:02 am 

Yes, thank you! I'm going to tape it too, my daughter loves telling her big sis, Binky is allergic to peanuts just like me!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:53 pm 

Some of you might have already received this email from Anaphylaxis Canada but I thought I'd pass it along for others who don't subscribe --

Quote:
Tune in to TVO, Thursday, June 2, at 5:00 pm for the episode of the popular kids television show, Arthur, when his friend Binky discovers that he is allergic to peanuts. It will be shown again on TVO on Thursday, June 17, at 5:00 pm.

Viewers may record the show for educational, non-commercial use, per PBS website,

www.pbskids.org/arthur/parentsteachers/ ... sroom.html

and can download its companion educational guide Binky Goes Nuts: Understanding Peanut Allergies from PBS at:

www.pbskids.org/arthur/parentsteachers/lesson/health

For your information,

Anaphylaxis Canada

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

Is it Thursday June 16th or Friday June 17th?
I guess I'll just set the VCR for both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:25 pm 

Today at 5:00 p.m. and Friday June 17th at 5:00 pm.

Post subject: June 2 Arthur Episode
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:26 pm 

I thought the Episode was really good.It was really educational how he thought the butterfly was the cause.Good Doctor showing him his reactions on his arm.
It was interesting how he had the nightmare and was saved by a Superhero.
I also liked that a another child had a milk allergy, so he was not alone.
I liked it very much and so did my Husband .If I had young children I would encourage them to watch the episode and tape it for themselves and their school etc.
Thanks for the notice. I edited my writing style some... It looked huge when I looked at it.
Kelly

Last edited by Kelly on Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:31 am 

I told my 14 year old daughter, who had her first peanut reaction just a couple of months ago, about this Arthur episode. She still watches Arthur and she was so excited one morning when it came on, she came to tell me to come down to watch it with her! LOL.

Even though she thinks she's all grown up sometimes, she's still a kid :lol:
She quite enjoyed the episode.