You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:57 am 

Just wondering if any of you can offer any insights or tips to attending amusement parks (i.e. Canada's Wonderland, Ontario Place, etc.) with your food allergic child (outside the obvious precaution of bringing your own food).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:12 am 

Well, it's me with the allergies but I can tell you how we handle it.

First, we picnic. We keep a picnic blanket in the the trunk of the car year round. Personally, I don't want to eat at table that may not have been washed since the last heavy rain. :roll:

I also keep a tub of wet papertowel, or wetones in the car, and when we pack the cooler we add some in there too (in case we forget to get it out of the car at meal time.

At Wonderland, most of our time is spent in the kiddie area. I have never had a problem reacting from touch. Also, the past few years, they seem to be a bit more peanut-allergy aware. It started with signs, for example at the candy-apple stand there was a clear sign that ALL items sold there may have been in contact with peanuts/nuts. I recall some talk last year (or the year before) about some of the food outlets being peanut-free. Since I'm also dealing with sesame seeds, I never really followed up or confirmed that information. There is a lot of safe pre-packaged candy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:38 am 

ethansmom, my PA son has been to Wonderland many, many times with no problems. We started off always carrying our own food but the last few times (he's seventeen now and perhaps we're a little more laid back than when he was small) we've bought pizza and fries (after a discussion with the serving staff) with no ill effects. He's also been to Ontario Place several times too. We tend to stick to pizza (unfortunately that's no help for the dairy-allergic).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:15 pm 

Hi ethansmom,

My little one has several anaphylactic allergies (plus asthma, eczema etc. etc.). We took him to the CNE last year, and to my very pleasant surprise, he was absolutely fine.

I was a bit nervous about him walking around, as there was food ALL over the ground, and at that time he was always touching/playing with his shoes etc. (he reacts on contact). We soon ended up renting a wagon, and he LOVED it. I think he thought it was a CNE 'ride'! When he was tired of the wagon, we found quiter, less popular places for him to run around in.

Regarding the rides, I made sure I wiped down any handles etc. on anything he went on, and I continually wiped his hands down as well. Where it was possible, I cuddled him to avoid him touching anything. (Geez, I sound pretty neurotic, don't I? Oops!)

We kept him far away from the food courts (there are too many people and too much food flying around!!) and wiped down any water bottles etc. that we bought from vendors in case he might touch them. He was in diapers at that time and I didn't change him in the busy and sometimes dirty public washrooms, so I can't comment on how toiletting would be.

I know you are already on top of Epi-pens, inhalers, Benadryl and MedicAlert bracelets. The other thing I did was get a map so we always knew where to go if we needed help.

All in all it was a great trip. If I had to do it over again, I'd bring a few more wipes and more water/fresh fruit for him from home.

Hope you have a great trip!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:06 pm 

Long pants, shoes with socks, long sleeve shirt. Whenever we go anywhere public with the youngest we try to limit her exposed skin. We found some really nice, 100% cotton, really thin pants and long sleeve shirts that are comfortable on hot days.

We take our "little tikes" wagon, and if it is not possible to wait until we are in the truck to eat, the girls can wipe up, and have their snack while sitting on there.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:49 am 

Thanks everyone -- it's nice to get other's input because even when I think I have all the bases covered...someone mentions something else and I invariably go..."oh yeah!".
Quote:
I recall some talk last year (or the year before) about some of the food outlets being peanut-free. There is a lot of safe pre-packaged candy.

Quote:
...we've bought pizza and fries (after a discussion with the serving staff) with no ill effects.

Since it's been a loooong time since I've been to an amusement park and don't have a clue on the level of "allergy awareness" we would encounter, it's nice to read from your posts that they are also taking steps to accomodate / be aware of the food allergic.
Quote:
The other thing I did was get a map so we always knew where to go if we needed help.

Thanks for reminding me about this Panacea!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:36 am 

We were at Wonderland for father's day recently. I did note that the food concession areas did have largish signs indicating nut on premises. We took our own food and drinks anyways. Used LOTS of napkins and wipes, but my 4yr old was much more interested in rides instead of shows or stores. He did the fishy game so he could get a prize, the water park was pretty full, so we didn't spend a lot of time in that area. Ontario Place last year, same thing, took our own food and drinks. The kids eat better that way too, not so much fried foods and sugar, so the kids stay in a better mood...not so much whine...

Don't care for the EX in Toronto, the diesel fumes on the midway are awful, and the food building is like being assaulted by food smell. The local fall fair hasn't been a problem - we don't eat there.

I always try to say NO to the water park...they make me crazy...(4 kids - 12 different directions) ... might not be a problem if only 1 or 2 kids.

I have a little tikes wagon with the pup trailer, so the cooler travels in the trailer, and gets lighter as the day goes on... :wink:

Cheers,
Buzimom_2000
mom of 4 boys ages 10, 11, 13 no allergies, age 4: peanut, egg, asthma, environmental
my hubby has environmental allergies
I have none.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:43 am 

Quote:
(he's seventeen now and perhaps we're a little more laid back than when he was small

Wonderland is someplace your son might want to consider for a summer job.

One of my son's worked there for years. One year, they were told all employee eating areas had a sesame seed and kiwi food ban due to an employees food allergy. Also, part of the regular job for that employee was washing down tables. The tables were not regularly used for eating, but it was a possible risk, so the employee with the food allergy did NOT do that part of the job, but he did the rest of his job. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:01 am 

Thought I'd bump this one up given the time of year.
Also thought I'd share that we recently bought a wagon and what I absolutely LOVE about this wagon is that one of the seats converts to a table so your child can actually eat comfortably in it! A really good feature for the food allergic family when your out and about. It's the Radio Flyer Odyssey Ultimate Family Wagon. http://www.radioflyer.com/plastic/plastic_3100.html

You can buy it in Canada at Toys R Us:
http://www.toysrus.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=111131&N=27+21020429&nvalue=27

It's not cheap but I can't say say enough about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

Centreville Island on Toronto's Islands is a great amusement park for smaller children.
http://www.centreisland.ca/
There are lockers through out the park and you can rent a wagon to pull your cooler/child around in. The amusement park has many trees so on very hot sunny days there is plenty of shade to be found.
There are amusement rides, pony rides, a little farm, a wading pool beyond the asmusement park is a beach and bike rentals, storybook character Franklin has a garden on the island and there is a hedge maze to explore.
I went here often as a child and love to take our daughter and watch her experience the same magic I did the first time she 'drove' a car all by herself. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:44 pm 

Just wanted to add that Centreville is our family FAVOURITE place to go. It is great for young kids. My eldest - now 8 - still loves it (mind you, she's not a real thriller-seeker when it comes to rides!) We will definitely go there a couple of times this summer. If you go, plan to spend the day! We leave the house at around 9 am, catch the ferry around 10 am (or so) to be there for the opening of Centreville at 10:30 am, and we will stay until 4 or 5:00 and get home around 6 pm (or so). Make sure you bring lots of food for the day. We picnic (or course), but so do LOTS of people that go there. We bring a BIG tablecloth and walk over the little bridge near the "train station" platform (i.e. the little kids train ride) and there are loads of picnic tables over there.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses