You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:16 am 

I am so glad to read everyone else's stories. It makes me feel a little more "normal" in my concerns, etc. Here's my daughter's story...when she was a couple of weeks old, I was nursing her and realized everytime I ate an egg, she would projectile vomit, so I stopped. When she was 18 months old, I put a little bit of scrambled egg on her tray for her to try. She touched it, flung it at me, touched her face and it blew up on one side, eye nearly swollen shut. Scared the living daylights out of me, but I knew right away what was going on, which reminded me of the early weeks of nursing. I went straight to the doctor and told him she was allergic to eggs. He looked at me quizzically and when I told him what had happened, he immediately prescribed the epipens,sent me to an allergist (who confirmed it), told me not to worry too much that it was egg and she probably wouldn't be anaphylactic, that most children outgrow this allergy between 5 and 7.
She's 8 now, and we are still here and severe. Sending her off to school each year has been an experience, but I am coping better as she gets older, and all of her classmates and teachers understand what it's all about. I am fortunate (not that I would wish this on anyone's child) to have a close friend whose child has a peanut and egg allergy to commiserate with. I also have a son who's 5, who does not have food allergies. Who knows why or what causes it? All I know is I have to educate her and those around her to keep her safe. I wish all of you out there just starting this journey all the best. Read lots, talk lots. Thank you all for sharing your stories and tips. I will be an avid reader from now on. God Bless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:02 am 

Hi eggmom! Thanks for your comments. I like your name. :) I often refer to myself as Epi-Mom, in my mind at least - LOL. Check out my guys' story at www.epi-man.com .

Our family has been on a similar journey - started out with not great advice - wicked learning curve - got educated on our own - and now feel more empowered and have things more under control.

You are definitely not alone in your concerns - which are totally valid - and I'm glad you've found the forum. :)

Karen