You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Play dates
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:29 am 

My friend and I recently started play dates with our 2 year olds every week. The problem is my son can have no dairy or soy, and is avoiding top allergens. I will show up at my friend's house and there is sippy cups with milk in them lying around, sour cream and onion chips laying on the coffee table, as well as other unsafe snacks. Luckily my son seems to know enough not to eat food unless I give it to him, but I am afraid of cross contamination and stuff. I don't want to see like a freak, but it's a serious issue. I thought my friend would be more understanding and cautious because she has a child with a severe peanut allergy. But it seems like some people don't take other food allergies quite as seriously. :(

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:14 am 

Have you tried having a "heart to heart" with her? Maybe she is just unaware/uneducated about the reality that other foods can also result in anaphylaxis for those who are allergic. I would think she would have some idea given the fact that *you* also have a long list of allergens that you need to stay clear of. Is she diligent about her son's peanut allergy? Maybe she's not even in tune with the dangers to her own son if he were to be around peanuts/nuts -- there are varying levels of awareness and acceptance even among the allergic community.

Post subject: safe play dates
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:35 am 

Another option is to have play dates at your house. I just have the children come to our house everytime and then I feel safe. Yes, it means you take on more responsibility as far as always having the children but if you cannot enjoy yourself when you have left your child at a friends because you are stressed out as it ruins the time, it feels like alot less work for me and ease of mind to just have them at my house. This also gives you insight as to what the children are up to as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:39 pm 

Yes, I've asked her to come over to my house, but she never has yet. These play dates just started too. We have been friends all our lives so she knows about my allergies and how they effect me. I just think she is not aware that even small amounts of exposure can be lfe threatening.

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:41 pm 

I find people have a hard time understanding milk allergies. They confuse it with lactose intolerance. I agree that a "heart to heart" could help. Good luck!