You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Calling Cards
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:05 am 

This is an article in The Toronto Star talking about a new trend with parents: calling cards. These are handed out to other parents to organize play dates and socializing, and they contain all your info. What's neat is you can add other important facts like your child's medical conditions, be it allergies or diabetes, etc.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... &t=TS_Home

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

I think they're a great idea! I drop our daughter off at daycare. She then rides a bus to school and back. I find it difficult to meet the parents of her classmates. I would love to be able to give her a few cards to hand out so that we parents could arrange for playdates. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:39 pm 

What a wonderful idea! I've seen several sites offering calling cards. Thought it might be handy to have my phone # and email address just to give out to friends. And it would be so convenient to use when you drop the kids off with a playmate.

I love coming to this site! I always feel like I have so much more access to Internet info than I would on my own, because we have so many e-friends filling us in on the latest news. :D

Thanks,
Daisy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:10 pm 

I buy the business card paper at the local stationary store and print my own personal cards. They are quite cheap and handy as we have a largish family, constantly on the go, and trying to get the kids to remember cell numbers when they were small was difficult. Plus, have had experience in trying desparately to reach a parent of a child visiting at my home when the child didn't know home number either!

They were really, really handy when we went to Disney several years ago - I put the card into little plastic lapel holders for the kids and instructed them if they were lost to give the card to the security person(s) as it has our cell numbers on them. As we were travelling at that time, the kids were small enough that they wouldn't know where we were staying, phone numbers, address of relatives, etc.- I don't think they would even know that info now...ha ha.

Most parents I have given them to are extremely receptive, and they are just handy things to have when trying to leave contact info for teachers, repairman, other parents to set up play dates, or even just store personnel who want your address & phone numbers, so you don't have to say info out loud (in hearing range of unknown others).

Cheers,

Buzimom_2000 mother of 4 boys ages 13, 11, 10 no allergies, 5 yrs old, peanut, egg, shellfish, athsma.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:42 pm 

that's freaking brilliant!! i'm gonna have to tell my sisters about this for their kids!!

wow i never would have thought of something like that on my own... so brilliantly simple that it doesn't come to mind!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

Cards are a neat idea - and really inexpensive to get made and designed by any good local print shop.

I also thought the Fergusons whom we wrote about in "In Control" - see http://www.allergicliving.com/feature.asp?feature=30 - had a brilliant idea with fridge magnets. Quoting from Dory's article:

Quote:
To spread the word about their allergies, no matter how many newcomers have come into the family's circle, Kerry and Bill devised a system. They have a form note to give to other parents which gives their names and contact information and explains each child's severe allergies (with "severe" in large capitals). But in addition, the Fergusons accompany each note with a neon-coloured fridge magnet bearing their contact information. Neighbours say they have a rainbow of magnets from years past, when the Fergusons also used to distribute them to classmates to take home.