You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:01 am 

When your kids first started having allergic reactions - maybe before they were properly diagnosed - were you afraid to feed them? Or, when your kids started reacting, were they afraid to eat?

I am a regular contributor to Allergic Living Magazine (as well as a CBC Radio reporter/producer and a writer for several other magazines and newspapers), and I'm working on a story about they psychological side of food allergies - in particular the phobias that can easily (and often do) develop after a major reaction or two.

If you would be willing to share your story, it would be very much appreciated - and would undoubtedly mean a lot to others who have had the same experience. Feel free to contact me.

Thanks!

Jennifer Van Evra

(btw, I'm anaphylactic to shellfish, nuts, and peanuts, and highly allergic to many other foods, so I know the feeling!)

Last edited by Jennifer on Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:18 pm 

Jennifer - I have forwarded this to my support group members as well as to other support group leaders that I know in Canada. Just FYI.

K.

Post subject: thank you!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:06 am 

Thanks so much for that!
I am also looking for an adult who has experienced food phobia if you could pass that along too.
Best,
jve
p.s. noticed that my title got clipped... is there a way i can change that so that it includes the full word "phobia"? I could shorten the rest of it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:52 pm 

Hi Jennifer,
I am also very interested in the psychological aspects of food allergy. I think the anxiety, isolation, exclusion are so often overlooked. We use food to celebrate everything and it takes its toll to be left out day after day.

I have been very afraid to feed my son. we had a long time (18 months) of conflicting diagnoses. After being told my son was not allergic, he had a severe reaction. then after consulting w/Dr Hugh Sampson in NYC, he confirmed over a dozen allegies, some life threatening. to this day, I still will never try any new food or even a spice without running it by the allergist. Its not worth it.

Take care,
Gina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:45 pm 

Hi Jennifer,

I sympathize completely with what Gina wrote (thanks, Gina, for bringing up some very important points!).

The social isolation, exclusion and anxiety around social situations is daunting for a food allergic family. I know this impacts my little guy (though I don't know to what degree), who lives in the safety of our (to use Karen's word), cocoon. I only hope that one day, he will be able to 'catch up' to his non-isolated peers.

If anyone is doing any research/studies on this aspect of food allergies/anaphylaxis, my little family has a LOT to contribute!!

Hope everyone enjoyed a happy day.

Smiles,

Supi

PS Thank you Jennifer, for helping educate people about food allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:54 pm 

I have actually written a children's book on this and am having some photography done for it over the next several weeks. I am depicting a few challenging scenarios where the allergic child may be eating a different snack at preschool or may have to have a different treat at a party.

I want to acknowledge their feelings and that it can be difficult. We acknowledge how hard it is for kids to move, or go through a divorce, or go to the doctors or dentist, but most of the books on allergy only deal with the safety issue. I wanted to help them cope with their feelings.

I also move on to say how great it is when other adults bring treats that are safe for all to share. the book also emphasizes all of the other fun things there are to do in life.

We are going to a nephews birthday party this Sunday. where there will be hotdogs, pizza, pretzels, icecream and cake, NONE of which will be safe for my son. He will have to have different food for all of this. Not the end of the world, I know, but I just wish there was something he could have.

I used to tell myself that maybe it didnt bother him. But at our last party all of the kids were swooning over a bunch of different pizzas. my son had his safe wheat free soy pizza and he whispered to me "can I PLEASE just try a bite of "their" pizza?"

Take care,
Gina