You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:30 pm 

Hello,

I thought I'd put a message up for those of you living in the Hamilton/Niagara region.

Due to the number of our son's anaphylactic allergies (and the severity of some of his other allergies), finding support to come into our home has been challenging, to say the least.

I wanted to share a very positive experience I had with Niagara Caregivers & Personnel LTD. (905-523-4241).

I called the agency and explained our situation (i.e. we need someone who is ready to embrace a home without milk, wheat, eggs, soy, peas, peanuts, treenuts and shellfish; the person can't be afraid of puffers and epi-pens, the person can't have been around any dogs/cats, smoke etc. (yes, our little guy reacts that quickly!!) and the person has to be willing to adopt "OCD" type hand/face washing upon entering our home. There were other needs specific to my family that I added, and Amanda at the agency was very attentive and worked fast to prescreen people for me to interview. This involved talking to her candidates beforehand (to make sure they were in fact interested in/open to our specialized position), which I thought was very helpful to everyone involved!

Within 2 days of me calling the agency, I interviewed and found a suitable match.

Our caregiver was here this morning and I can't tell you how nice it felt to finally introduce our sons (who are pretty much confined to the safety of our home) a kind and loving new human being, without having to worry about any 'invisible' allergens entering the house!

Enjoy a nice day,

Supi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:22 pm 

I take it back.

If you need to, please pm me for more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:18 pm 

Supi, so sorry things didn't work out as you had thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:39 pm 
Site Admin

I wonder if you might have better luck bringing in a Nanny from overseas. My friend has a Nanny and she's a nurse in her country so presumably she'd understand about allergies.
So sorry it didn't work out.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:10 am 

Hi Supi - are you looking for a caregiver, still?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:58 pm 

Hiya,

Thank you for your support, and yep, we're still looking!

If you have any leads on reputable agencies, I'd be so thankful to hear of them!

Didn't think it would be this challenging! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:15 pm 

Supi, I am in the Niagara region, and I can maybe help you out. I am a celiac and have a severe casein allergy, so I've already adopted OCD tendencies :) If you want, perhaps we can work something out! Let me know, and I will PM you my contact info.