You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: allergic to humus - help
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:12 pm 

My son has eczema and asthma - he is 17mths old. The eczema is improving. I gave him humus yesterday and his face swelled up and he got hives on his legs. It frightened the hell out of me. I phoned the doc to be perscribed piriton. I am guessing he is allergic to sesame seeds. How likely is it that he also allergic to nuts? He has been eating these organic bars and some bics that are produced in factories that use nuts - does that mean that he is not allergic to nuts? Does anyone know if the allergy is likely to be outgrown? Struggling to come to terms with it - I cried all last night - I dont know how much more my little boy can take!
He wants to eat the same as his older brother and I have to restrict him - it is killing me. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:54 pm 

I would ask your family doctor to be referred to an allergist for testing immediately. They can test for nuts there as well. I don't think there is any link between sesame and nuts. I asked that my daughter be tested for all nuts and peanuts even though she had previously eaten all those foods without a problem. It just gave me some peace of mind.

I can really sympathize with you. It is so stressful dealing with children's allergies. But I think you will feel a little better once you know what is really going on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

Hayleylou,

Sorry to hear of your distress. I agree - you need to get referred to an allergist soon so that you can get your son tested. Part of the fear can be dealing with the unknown.

I'd gather your thoughts while fresh: how long between eating the hummus and the reaction? Had he eaten anything else or been exposed to other possible allergy triggers? Allergists find that kind of "history," in addition to the tests, very useful.

It is quite possible to be allergic to sesame and not nuts. Best to find out what food, if any, is the cause.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:35 pm 

I would definitly keep him away from all beans until he is allergy tested. Hummus is made from garbanzo beans. I am deathly allergic to garbanzo beans myuself, and I carry an epipen for it. I'm very allergic to most beans and legumes, but garbanzo beans are my worst. It sounds like your son may also have that allergy. Keep him away from soy to be safe as well. Any beans and legumes until he is tested. If you need help let me know. :)

self: allergic to milk, eggs, soy and other legumes, corn, oats, wheat, turkey, tree nuts, yeast, fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:49 am 

So sorry you had to go through this. I can completly relate to how you're feeling. My Daughter had her 2nd ana reaction to hummus. We were lucky that we had an Epipen for her peanut allergy that had been discovered 2 months earlier.

I agree that you should get a referal to an allergist. Our Family Dr didn't want to send us to one until our daughter was going to enter school. After her 2nd reaction I was in his office getting a new Rx for an Epi for her and broke down in tears telling him I needed her to go to an allergist because I was afraid to feed her.

She tested postive to both sesame & chickpeas (garbonzo beans), among others. She's also allergic to peanuts, but tested negative to almonds & hazelnuts, but we avoid all nuts. I agree with Gwen too - attempting to deal with the unknown is part of the fear.

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:53 am 

HI Haleylou,

When you go to the allergist, also bring a list of all the ingredients that are in the hummus, so the allergist can test for all of them.

As far as I know, I don't think there's usually sesame seeds in hummus.

Self - Allergic to housework only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:03 pm 

Nicole, FYI - Hummas contains Tahini which is a paste made from sesame seed.

Haleylou, you really have no way of knowing what your son reacted to without proper testing. I agree, take the ingredients (or container if store bought) for the hummas as well as a list of anything else he ate at the meal - I can't imagine he at it by the spoonfull :wink: If it really bothers you to feed your children different food - maybe just back off on the hummas for the whole family until this is all sorted out.

The allergist will do the proper testing and then you'll know your next steps. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that if he's allergic to hummas that he's allergic to nuts. There really isn't a connection there. Their is a connection between chickpeas and legumes (including peanuts), so I would advise caution there. Many people are allergic to nuts but not seeds and many allergic to peanuts but not nuts . . . I know, it's confusing! That's why you really need the facts from the allergist.

Many allergies can be outgrown - we havn't been so lucky! My 14yo is still allergic to eggs and Dr. is surprized everytime he sees the results - he really had thought that one would go away but it hasn't - even with strict avoidance. We did get a couple of nuts off our list, but given the cross-contamination issues with nuts it really doesn't matter - he doesn't eat any of them.

I didn't know what piriton was so I looked it up. Looks like it's an antihistamine used in the UK. I did notice it has a sedative effect - I hope there are good antihistamines your doctor can recommend that don't have a sedatiave - especially for a little one.

I can tell you that if it does turn out he has food allergies, it will get easier. We've been dealing with alllergist for 14 years and I can assure you, you'll be alright - and so will your kids!

Hope you get some clear answerssoon. Keep us posted.

Post subject: chick peas
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:39 pm 

My son was allergic to the chick peas in the hummus and also has a peanut allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:40 pm 

So sorry to hear about your son's reaction. I'm not sure where you live, but here in Ontario, we are able to buy a Junior Epipen (which is what your son would likely need) and a regular Epipen over the counter without a prescription. Until you have an appointment with an allergist, it would be best to have a Junior Epipen and Benadryl (for Children) on hand. It's best to have your son protected in case he happens to have another reaction. If you cannot buy the Epipen over the counter, your family physician should be able to write a prescription for your son. Administering the Epipen would allow for approximately 15 mins to travel to a hospital. The pharmacist should be able to provide training for administering the Epipen, or you can go to the Epipen website for a training demo.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:54 pm 

I totally agree with Julie.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:58 am 

Mharasym, thanks for the info, I did not know that :oops: . It's one of those "hidden" ingredients for people not familiar with sesame seed allergies.

Self - Allergic to housework only

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:14 am 

hayleylou wrote:
My son has eczema and asthma - he is 17mths old. The eczema is improving. I gave him humus yesterday and his face swelled up and he got hives on his legs. It frightened the hell out of me. I phoned the doc to be perscribed piriton. I am guessing he is allergic to sesame seeds. How likely is it that he also allergic to nuts? He has been eating these organic bars and some bics that are produced in factories that use nuts - does that mean that he is not allergic to nuts? Does anyone know if the allergy is likely to be outgrown? Struggling to come to terms with it - I cried all last night - I dont know how much more my little boy can take!
He wants to eat the same as his older brother and I have to restrict him - it is killing me. :(

hayleylou,

I agree with the others. You need your family doctor to refer you to an allergist for testing. From your post, it sounds like the doctor "treated" your son through a phone call... he didn't ask to examine your son or request a follow up appointment to discuss the reaction? Piriton (similar to Benadryl in Canada) is an anti-histamine and it worked only to treat the hives. You can't rely on Piriton to treat the allergy (if it does turn out to be a true allergy). Only epinephrine (Epipen) can do that... and a visit to the emergency room. Unfortunately, there seems to be a shortage of allergists in the UK... so insist on getting a referral from your family doctor. Insist that the reaction (swollen face and hives) could be a sign of a true allergy and lead to anaphylaxis. Also request an Epipen... don't wait for the allergist to prescribe one, as it could take months to get an appointment if you are going through the NHS. If you have private insurance, this may speed up the process of getting an appointment with an allergist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:48 pm 

Sorry to hear about the reaction!

If it turns out that your son is only allergic to sesame, you can make a pretty good hummous with chick peas (only if your son is not allergic to the chick peas, obviously), olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:54 pm 

My son has nut and peanut allergies and reacted to hummus this summer. He tested positive to sesame and I need to bring chick peas to the appt next year to be tested. In the meantime we avoid hummus and chick peas.
I will be looking for that recipe for hummus without tahini next summer! (hopefully!)
As for eating hummus with a spoon - you have never seen how much my youngest piled on his carrots!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:50 pm 
Site Admin

If you have a food processor, you can make your own.
It's basically chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and tahini but I'm pretty sure you could substitute no-nut butter.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb