You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Home Daycare
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:15 pm 

So I've been torn with the fact that I need to bring in more money (or some as my hubby would put it) So I've thought about going back to work but I'm nervous, I also thought about bringing in some kids. Now I do watch a little guy who is three and that's going well no problems there at all. But I've got two little guys one is 16 months and the other is about 12 months. looking to start and I'm nervous about there bottles and what not. Now I've decided that I'll feed everyone and NOONE gets anything with milk in it. But is this right to do? If the two little ones are even going to have their bottles of milk do I make them have it in the high chair? One mom (the one with the 16 month old) has said that she will give him one bottle before he comes and another one when he gets home Because she only gives him two cups of milk a day. Is this ok for me to suggest to the other mother as well?? I guess if they don't like my 'rules' than they can find someone else to watch their kids. But than I'm going to ahve a hard time finding kids to watch if I've got these kinds of rules... or no??? Does anyone else do a home day care?? I dont' trust anyone else with my boys... we are just learning about Dylan's stuff and Zach keeps adding more to his list. Like I have to give him Benadryl every morning before he goes to nursery school because they have or had (they moved it to another room) a geinua pig. Poor kid his face swells up and sneezes like crazy. ouldn't figure out what was going on when I took him there...they put in new policies for eating snacks and what not because of him but wow.....anyways way off topic.... let me know your thoughts. thanks.

Me - Hay fever to Cats, Dust, milk, rag weed, tabacco, tomatoes, feathers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:13 pm 

I think that not allowing milk ( or your other allergens) in your home is perfectly fine. It is your home...and it needs to be safe for your kids...they live their 24/7. Other kids can have milk when they are at home if they are milk drinkers. Have you thought about advertising your home day care at your allergists office? I'm sure their are some parents of milk allergic kids who would love a safe child care option...in a milk free home. I occassionally babysit my friends kids who have allergies to peanuts, nuts, milk and eggs as well. It works well for everyone...no one is deprived and everyone is safe.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:20 am 

I ran a licensed daycare in my home for 7 years and I think it was the best thing I ever did. Set your own rules, it's your house. You will find that most people will value the job you do with there kids way more than any food issue, especially if you provide the food so they do not have to deal with it.

There were three families I stopped working for (out of at least 30) over the food issues. One repeately brought peanut into my house in lunchboxes, for treats, etc., and after the third incident I said, this isn't working for me. The second did not get it and when my son had a reaction at school, I went with my son to the hospital and my husband stayed with the 3 kids I was looking after until there mom's (or emergency contact) could pick them up. She photocopied for an hour after she was notified to pick up he child, then the next day started to question my decision to be with our son at the hospital rather than keep running the daycare, so I fired her, too(and I really enjoyed it :twisted: ), after explaining what it it was like more me to run 7 blocks to a school with a stroller full of children while listening to the ambulances screaming and knowing they were coming for my child, and I wasn't there to help him.

Most families were awesome, and even though I closed my daycare two years ago, Aaron still benefits from it, even at school cos all the families knew him from before school, so they were all aware of the peanut issue, and it made it easier at the school level. We made great friends that we still have. It was the best (and hardest) job I ever had. I made way more money than if I had had my kids in childcare.

Last night I met a little one I looked after from when she was 18 months to 4 years. Now she is in grade one. She was dressed up as a witch. She said "Pam, I'm all growed up now, before, I was little". The guy at the jewelry store fixes Aaron's medic alert bracelet (it breaks regularly) for free even though he doesn't know me cos he's seen me with all these kids. Strangers used to come up and hug me and tell me I was a good person. No other job gets that kind of recognition. It was also exhausting, there weren't enough holidays, some parents were idiots, we got lice once, there was a lot of poop, there was a lot of cleaning.

I think I could have done a better job dealing with the situations that ended badly. In those cases I knew that I was dealing with parents that weren't good at empathy and I could have provided them more resources and firmer guidelines so they would "get it". I could have been more upfront on how serious this was, and how much of my life was tied to protecting Aaron, and how much I judged them on their ability to deal with me well about the peanut allergy. They were all devastated when I stopped provided childcare because they were not meeting my needs, and I was too. But it was the right decison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:56 pm 

Kym, I did daycare in my home for 6 years. I, too, found it extremely rewarding and only gave it up because I was offered an office job that paid more money. I provided all the food and no one complained. Most clients are so grateful to have a caring person look after their child and I think you could certainly make the life of some parent with a milk-allergic child extremely happy. Posting a notice in your allergist's office is a great idea. Or try the local library, school bulletin board or community centre. Those are the only places I ever advertised. Most clients came by word of mouth. It was tons (tonnes) of work but I was able to examine bugs, skip stones in a water-filled ditch, do all kinds of crafts and watch my kids grow too.