You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:23 pm 

A while ago I started keeping a log of reactions, medical appointments, and medications for my daughter. After 2 years of living with allergies and the intro of asthma I knew I needed to write things down to keep everything straight. It is so easy to forget information and history. When we head to the doctor I always bring it along so that I can refer to it. I have let this slide for a year and a half now and I am determined to get organized again in this new year. I bought magazine boxes from Staples and I have sorted my Allergic living magazines, AC newsletters, articles and information books. There is so much info to deal with! Does anyone else have a good system of managing their medical info? What do you do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:51 pm 

I used to be organized. Sigh. Now my office looks like a paper bomb went off in it.

If you mean the generic stuff, like magazines and articles, I use both magazine organizers for magazines and binders with clear plastic sheet holders for articles. I am still trying to figure out a way to organize brochures and stuff.

I have thought of keeping an alphabetized list of important articles/news and some kind of way of indicating where I'd find them (e.g. in a particular magazine issue or a particular binder of articles)... but I haven't done that. LOL.

I did have binders for the kids - one for generally allergy info and one for their own allergy info (such as SPT results and such). But that's all gotten a bit out of date.

For personal medical info, for awhile I was very organized with an Excel table in which I had columns like Date, Symptoms, Diagnosis (Doctor's and/or Mom's), Medications Prescribed, and Outcome (or something similar). It was impressive, and I wowed the socks off our most recent allergist at the time. My kids had a lot of health problems in the first few years of life, and it was a great way to show the docs all that had been happening. And for me to keep track - the haze of exhaustion meant that my brain sure wasn't going to remember it!

But alas, I stopped filling it in. I should really get back into the hang of that - even for myself. I can share the template if you like - just PM me.

Organizing my office has been on my list for the past 2 years. No kidding. It's one of those important things that I never get around to doing...

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

I love the internet for keeping me organised.
I have folders in 'favourites' where I place websites for allergy networks, asthma, anaphylaxic info, food company info, mediacl info, nutritional info, recipes, advocacy resources, school info, and interesting articles to be read.
I keep all of my e-mail corespondence categorised by school, allergy etc so that I can refer to it later.
I use this forum as a blog to track issues and reactions.
It's not the best solution but it's always available.
I should probably back everything up on a disk.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:27 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
I should probably back everything up on a disk.

Yes Susan do that! I just lost all of my emailed correspondence, favourite websites, etc. due to computer problems -- back it up!