You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:57 pm 

I'm working up the energy, etc. to phone or visit our local YMCA to see if it's a viable option for ds and I to attend.

We have had trouble at a previous athletic facility that allowed food EVERYWHERE (locker rooms, gymnasiums, you name it), so I'm pretty anxious about this. But I know we need to get out for activities, so I'm going to suck it up and investigate! ; )

What I'd like your help with is figuring out what I need to ask them at the Y. I don't want to be taking up too much of anyone's time, but I'd also like to be fairly thorough so we don't have any surprises.

I should mention that ds and I would be attending all programs together for now.

Thanks in advance!
Marla

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:08 pm 

Funny you should post about this. We just recently signed up at the Y ourselves. I asked about their food policy because my son had a "food allergy" (I wanted to know how she'd respond because so many people are tuned into the "nut free" thing but not other allergies) and she started to say, "our facility is peanut free...oh, what type of food allergy?". I asked about designated food areas -- were people allowed to eat in change rooms, etc. and she said that she believed that they were. I think the "peanut free" thing comes into effect in the child care areas (no peanuts allowed and kids are required to bring and eat their own snacks) and for the birthday parties that they host. Because I will be with my son at all times and the actual programming itself does not involve the eating of food, I feel OK with our attending. We just take the same precautions we would if we were out anywhere else in public -- hand washing, things out of mouth, etc. You have to go with your comfort level - based on the type and number of allergens you're avoiding, your son's age, etc. I do have to say that it was sooo nice to see him running around the gym (without the prospect of others eating!). Our local play centre (Ontario Early Years Centre) is not well run and maintained -- toys aren't regularly washed, designated food area rules aren't enforced, etc. and this alternative is so much better for us!
Because each Y is run by different management and I'm sure some are better maintained than others -- why don't you drop in whenever they say their "peak time" might be and ask to tour around to check things out (in addition to asking your questions). Just observe if others are eating / where, etc. Also if there are specific programs that you'd like your son in, go ahead and see what the other parents are like on the food-front. I know at our Y, for gym time, we don't even go into the changerooms. We just change his foot wear up at the gym and away he goes. Just some thoughts....I hope it works out for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:47 am 

Funny, you should mention the early years centers. Ours was not very safe for us too. Babies wandering around with bottles full of milk. Yogurt was served as a snack (which is fine) but there was no routine of hand washing after eating, even when I pointed out our problem. I asked to put a no peanuts sign from Anaphylaxis Canada on the front door or near the entrance but they would not. Anyways we did not go often. With the milk issue I figured it would always be very risky for us.

We are members of our YMCA. In general, we have not had any problems with food. Our Y has no vending machines and actually sells only fruit as snacks to promote healthy living and lifestyles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:05 pm 

Cdnmama,
We're new to Winnipeg. I'm not familiar with the programs at the Y specifically, but we recently enrolled our boys in a program through the city of Winnipeg. Here is the link to the winter leisure guide (the spring one is out Feb.9th).
http://www.winnipeg.ca/cms/leisure/guide.stm

No peanuts/nuts are allowed at any of the programs. Our particular class is taught by an ex-teacher. She was great about listening carefully about our boys allergies, and going through an impromptu epi-pen refresher with our epi-trainer (makes me feel more confident to have it fresh in their minds). We didn't get enough time to go over this information beforehand, so we just stayed with our boys during the first class and went over our info after, and left an emergency plan in the classroom for the teacher to have easy access to. She also asked the children to refrain from bringing snacks, and to please wash up after breakfast (it's a morning class) if they'd eaten eggs or peanuts, which we appreciated.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema