You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:57 pm 

Didn't have room in the subject to fully explain so it may seem like a "duh" question. But if my 14-month-old daughter has tested negative to certain foods (peanuts, shellfish) that I was holding off on anyway before introducing (at age 3), should I keep them out of my diet along with the positive-test foods, since I'm still breastfeeding? I must admit I've had the occasional peanut butter snack after she's gone to bed (don't know if the proteins are still in my milk the next morning) and the rare shrimp cocktail. Is there a chance that she could still develop a peanut or shellfish allergy from my breastmilk at this point?

Also - since she's negative for soy (both skin test and from actually eating it for a while) now I've gone to soy milk, soy yogurt, etc. Could too much soy at this age cause her to develop a soy allergy? The allergist recommended all the soy substitutions for dairy but it seems like so much.

Thanks for any info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:01 am 

Not a "duh" question at all. There was a whole article about this in Allergic Living in their last issue and basically, the experts don't know. A lot of experts are now saying that all the advice to avoid foods while pregnant and/or nursing is not based on any studies, just on hunches, and that no one should follow it. Although some say avoiding peanuts while pregnant and nursing isn't a bad idea.

If it were me, with a child already diagnosed with allergies and thus being atopic, I would avoid peanuts and tree nuts to be safe. I'm not sure about the shellfish. I personally do think that the proteins are there for awhile in the breastmilk, although I have no idea how long for. (When I asked one allergist how long it would take for my son's newly diagnosed allergens to get out of my breastmilk, he replied "a few weeks" - although I don't really know if he really knew what he was talking about.)

Anyone else got info about that?

One of the quotes in the Allergic Living article was something like "just do what is good for your child", which frankly made me snort. If we knew that we wouldn't be so desperate for advice from the experts!!!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:11 am 

If it were me...I would hold off. Only because IF an allergy develops COINCIDENTLY, I would hate the "what if's" that would lead to a life time of mommy guilt. Not worth a moment on the lips. Have you looked at alternative spreads such as hemp, soy or sunflower?

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:33 pm 

Thanks for the info.

When Kate was diagnosed and the allergist wanted the blood test, he knew I was BFing and didn't mention eliminating anything from my diet. I called him from the parking lot about it - and all he said was to do it until the blood test (the next day, so 24 hours). Don't know if he knew what he was talking about either.

But I'm trying to stop eating all the things she's allergic to - I'm also afraid if I eat something and breathe on her or kiss her or she puts her fingers in my mouth (and now I read that peanuts proteins stay 4 hours, and it doesn't matter if you brush your teeth...) that something will happen. It's crazy - the only difference between this week and last week is my knowing about all this. We haven't given her dairy since her first reaction back at the beginning of November anyway!

My personal theory about all this is too much processed food, so I'm thinking again about the soy milk, tofu, etc. and wondering if I should just buy some soybeans and forgo the processed stuff. She was always on a "whole foods" diet as it was - I'm guessing I ate too much processed food and sensitized her either through pregnancy or breastfeeding. It's just a theory - I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere though. I feel like Paranoid Conspiracy Mama. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:12 am 
Site Admin

KatesMom- I still breastfed our daughter after the diagnosis of milk and egg allergies. I too asked about my eating her allergens at that time. I was advised not to be worried about it. I have since read I should have avoided the foods.
It seems that everyother article contradicts the last one. I don't believe there have been any definative studies regarding this and so Dr's are left to their own opinions.
Personally, I find it easier to not have the allergens in the house (we only avoid milk and egg). If you can reasonably get all of the nutrients you need without the allergens, why put yourself through all of the stress?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:03 pm 

If we are talking about a BFing mom avoiding the foods her baby has already been diagnosed as allergic to, I definitely would avoid those foods. It is my understanding that it is possible that the food proteins will pass into the breastmilk.

When nursing my youngest, I avoided all his allergens - dairy, egg, wheat, barley, peanuts, nuts. His eczema cleared up significantly once we knew what foods he was allergic to and I cut them out of my diet. And the allergist we had at the time advised me to cut the allergens out of my diet. (Isn't it sad that we're all getting such conflicting advice? But not surprising after what I read in the AL article...)

If we are talking about avoiding foods that a child with allergies isn't allergic to (but you're worried she might become allergic to them), I stand by my answer above.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:13 pm 

P.S. I agree with Susan that it's much less stressful to have the allergens out of the house and your own diet. We don't have peanuts or nuts in the house and I cannot imagine having them in the house or on my hands/lips/etc., to be honest.

But it's not always possible to keep allergens out of the house. Even though our youngest is very allergic to dairy, we do have it in the house, primarily for his brother.

Our oldest is allergic to legumes (except soy - but I'm not willing to put a lot of soy into his diet) and potatoes, so things like soymilk and potato-based DariFree aren't really options for him. And he refuses to drink Rice Milk. So we have dairy in the house for him and my DH. Whenever we're cooking with cheese or eating dairy, I find it very stressful. My DH and I wash our hands constantly, are very careful about cross-contamination, don't touch or kiss my youngest, and basically make the whole thing very unenjoyable!

My youngest is starting to insist that I not eat dairy products, which is very interesting. I think he needs his "allergy buddy" back (the way I was when I nursed him for 3 years). The other day my DH asked if I wanted parmesan cheese on my pasta and my youngest said, "No! Not mama - no cheese for her." Which was fine with me, actually.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:52 pm 

I asked my pediatrician (not allergist) about BFing and eating peanuts as the latest info was saying (back then) to avoid it but he said he would prefer they get exposed to small amounts in breast milk. I have harboured much guilt about my eating of peanut butter while pregnant and nursing and was relieved to read the article that showed that no one is really sure which is the best way.

Aware of allergies - avoid food.
No known allergies - who knows!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:10 pm 

stefteach wrote:
I have harboured much guilt about my eating of peanut butter while pregnant and nursing and was relieved to read the article that showed that no one is really sure which is the best way.

So many people I've spoken to have felt the same way. A friend down the street ate a lot of peanut butter while pregnant and now has a peanut allergic son. Another friend ate a lot of cashews and now has a tree nut allergic son.

Well, I ate a lot of peanut butter and she's testing negative. I didn't eat any tree nuts that I can remember and she had a huge hive on her back from the cashew test! I'll admit I had more than my fair share (all right, I had about mine plus 2 lumberjacks' fair share) of ice cream while I was pregnant, but I don't eat eggs often and although she skin tested positive for both, it was the eggs that most affected her.

And I'll bet our mothers and their mothers, etc, etc succumbed to their cravings and few of us turned out to be highly allergic to any foods. Twenty years ago most of this was unheard of! So it's got to be more, way more, than the foods we ate (or didn't eat, depending on what you read) when we were pregnant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:05 pm 

It's definitely way more than just what we ate. I know one mom who is highly allergic to peanuts and thus never ate peanuts when pregnant or nursing, and she has at least one kid who is allergic to peanuts and another who isn't.

I think obviously that genes may predispose someone to being allergic, and being exposed to a particular protein may trigger an allergy in someone, but it's not any mom's direct fault that her child develops allergies.

As for the guilt: my own attitude is that life is too short. I don't feel at all guilty.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:25 am 

Actually, my MIL was allergic to everything under the sun, INCLUDING the sun. My mom has shown life threatening allergies to drugs and ordinary things like wrapping paper. I have environmental and drug allergies. His dad has anaphylactic allergy to wasps.

This poor child had no hope in he-double-hockey sticks!

Stef

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:35 pm 

LOL - I sometimes think that about my guys. I was allergic to milk and still have minor allergy issues. My SIL has multiple food allergies as do some of her kids. It definitely runs in both our families...

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:55 pm 

Quote:
My youngest is starting to insist that I not eat dairy products, which is very interesting. I think he needs his "allergy buddy" back (the way I was when I nursed him for 3 years). The other day my DH asked if I wanted parmesan cheese on my pasta and my youngest said, "No! Not mama - no cheese for her." Which was fine with me, actually.

Ds and I just finished breastfeeding, and this whole "allergy buddy" thing was/is a big issue for me. It feels so weird for it to be okay for me to have his allergens now. I've really gone wild! haha. Not much has changed. We still keep "the big 2" (peanuts and eggs, for him) out of our house.

As we were wrapping things up with him slowly weaning, I shared with my husband that I was reluctant to finish, as I might lose the feeling of solidarity I had with ds in his allergy fight. Now that it's been a week and a half, I'm learning that we've still got it! : )

*Self: allergic to penicillin