You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:13 am 

We're taking our son in for allergy testing in May. He'll be around 18mths at the time.

He's had minor ezcema when we first intro'd solids and we were careful to avoid anything that caused it to flare up. I really want to have him tested so I can start educating him & get him a MedicAlert braclet, etc if needed.

Our Daughter has multiple food allergies so we avoid everything she's allergic to. My concern is that if our son has never been exposed to the kinds of foods she reacts to (even in trace amounts) will his results come back accurate?

I'm just wondering if we should try to give him some of her allergens. Not all of them - but like egg yolk or a sesame bagel?

Our daughter didn't get the flu shot this year due to her egg allergy. Our family Dr decided against giving it to our son since he's never had egg and he didn't want his first exposure to be from the flu shot.

For those of you with younger siblings with allergies - were they exposed to the allergens before their allergies were discovered? Or were they just discovered through testing?

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:47 am 

I waited to introduce my son to milk and eggs until he was over a year but I never gave him any peanut butter. When I introduced egg and milk it was a little at a time and I knew that I had my daughter's epipen close by. He had never shown any sign of allergy prior to this also. His skin was and still is so smooth. It is so different from my daughter.

Anyway, at 2 we had him skin tested for milk, egg and peanut. I was going back to work and he was going to be with a sitter half time so I wanted to be sure about his allergy status. All skin tests were negative. The allergist had us come back to his office for an oral test of peanut butter though. He was fine with the test and it was obvious that he loved the taste. Since then we have tried to arrange visits to neighbours for a taste of peanut butter every so often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:55 pm 

My youngest's allergies showed up very early in life (3 months) so we didn't have the worry of whether to introduce before testing... I suspect that he got exposed through my breastmilk (wheat and dariry allergy, then later egg, nuts, peanuts, etc.)

A friend of mine is going through a semi-similar experience to yours, though. Her youngest is allergic to dairy, while her oldest is allergic to peanuts and egg (ana). Her allergist will not test her youngest child for egg until the child has definitively eaten it. I suspect that not all allergists will take that approach, likely on the assumption that the child would have ingested eggs in some other way (even mistakenly). But obviously my friend's allergist feels you have to ingest it before the test will have any validity.

It's a hard call on what exactly to do. Have you consulted with the allergist to get his/her opinion?

Also, do keep in mind that even if siblings have allergies, they are not always the same. Look at our signature - the only thing my guys have in common is peanuts, tree nuts and eggs - and even that may not quite be true, as my youngest may not be allergic to tree nuts (but we haven't done an oral challenge) and my oldest might have outgrown his peanut allergy (again, we haven't yet done an oral challenge).

And on a positive note, I know of lots of families where only 1 or 2 kids have allergies while the others don't.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:04 am 

Thanks for your comments!

I'm not sure what we'll do yet. I'll likely wait and discuss it in May when we have his appt. At least after the first consultation with him it doesn't take as long to get back in for another appointment to do testing.

Thanks again!
J

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!