You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: He made me so proud!
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:04 pm 

I have been doing the count-down to JK (we're down to 4 months already :shock: !) and feeling the anxiety that comes with the "growing pains" of letting go. Part of some of the stress I've been feeling is wondering how my son will handle situations with food -- will he feel confident enough to decline others' offers of food / drink / or candy? Is he old enough? Has all of the teaching and preparation actually worked its way in and will it make its way out? Because I'm a SAHM, and my son is with me all day, even when we're out in social situations, he's still with me -- we've never really had a situation where a stranger or casual acquaintance has offered him food. Well today we were at the park, and he met up with a boy who he's played with a couple of times before and after playing together for a while, the little boy went running to where his mother was and got himself a drink -- he called to Ethan and Ethan went running (I was a little further back). Once he got there, he offered Ethan a drink from his cup. Ethan didn't skip a beat, immediately said "no thank you, I have a peanut allergy" and headed off toward the play equipment. The little boy went after him saying, "it's not peanuts, it's apple juice" and Ethan put his hand up and said "no thank you, it might still have peanuts in it" and went on playing. HE DID IT -- and without me!! I can't tell you how proud and relieved I felt in that instant!! I just had to share with others who understand what a major step this is for my little guy and who can totally relate to how good that feels!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, that must have felt so great to see him dealing so confidently with the situation.
Good job Ethan!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:02 pm 

Yay! :D Way to go Ethan!

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:58 am 

Excellent!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:17 pm 

I especially like that he didn't skip a beat when the other kid said that it was only apple juice. Not everyone would have been able to cope with that.

Well done, Ethan! :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:05 am 

That's great---must be relief! That story made me smile :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:28 pm 

Yay! That's so great! Such a great feeling when they actually do stuff like that WOO HOO! :D

My daughter is also starting JK in Sept. I'm worried too - thinking she'll be too young. She'll only be 3! Doesn't turn 4 until Dec. I find I've been half trying to put her in situations where someone may offer her food or drink lately. And I won't speak up for her (Well I would if I had too!) But she's been doing great with it to.

Way to go Ethan!

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:28 am 

Ethansmom, I just shared this story with my boyfriend - we both say way to go Ethan!!! :)

Post subject: WAY TO GO
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:06 pm 

Goosebumps. and tears. I'm happy for you - it's the beginning of real responsibility (to as much as you can hope and pray for a little one) in self-management, at least I think.
Not long ago, someone at daycare (who should have known better) put a slice of bread in front of my daughter (just 3 1/2 now). She pushed her chair back, blanched, covered her mouth with both hands and called out for the teacher saying "that's not my bread - I can't eat that!". I was so proud of her and so heart broken that she needs to be able to do that.
But to be able to come back when the kid said it was just apple juice. My heart is bursting with pride for you!