You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:40 am 

I started giving my toddler milk and he seemed fine for a week or so. Then he got a really bad rash on his bum and had yellow mucussy poos and very frequent. I switched him to soy milk and it cleared up after two days and he has been fine. The other day my son poured him a bottle and gave him milk and I thought ok we will see whats going on. The Doctor told me to do it as well. His voice went from a very clear sounding one to horse congested one. Like when you get ready to loose your voice how it sounds. SO I stopped giving him milk right away. It cleared up but took all day long. My oldest who has a milk allergy was 14 when she got it so this is all new guessing for me. Are these symptoms? Doctors said I acted premature and want me to try cows milk again. I said no!!!!!

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:02 am 

Definitely go with your instincts. To me, after these symptoms, giving him any more cow's milk would be "premature" until he tests negative for milk allergy.

Besides, it's not as if cow's milk is much more nutritious than soy milk, if at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:57 am 
Site Admin

Karen, how old is your little one?
We switched our daughter to soy milk when she was about 1 year old and I started to wean her.
She went from a baby in the 95% height and weight to ...she didn't gain or grow at all :shock: . Maybe it was just a normal phaze, she was learning to walk at that takes energy, but we took her to a dietician (regulated professional as opposed to nutritionist who isn't regulated) and found she was deficient in her fat intake. We had to add 7 tbsp of oi daily to her diet. Infants under the age of 2 need homogeonized milk as opposed to 2% because they need the fat for brain deveopment and to absorb fat soluable vitamins. Soy milk is equivalent to 2% milk in fat content. (It has more protein :wink: .)
We added the oil and she is healthy and is growing at a normal pace. She's not the tallest kid in her class, but she isn't the shortest either.
I don't know how things work in the US, but I really would recommend that anyone on a restricted diet (especially a todder as they are in the formative years of their life) have their diet reviewed by a dietician.
If you add the oil to her soy mik and she uses sippy cups the Playtex valves will fall out! The Gerber valves stay in. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:46 am 

He is 12months old. I give high fat foods to suppliment. The fat loss. He eats way more then drinks the soymilk.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:18 pm 

My yougest was on soy infant formula until she was 3. It's soy based...but has the necessary fat content.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 6:31 pm 

this isn't formula its soymilk :D

Post subject: soy formula until 2yoa
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:05 am 

My son's allergist told us to start him on soy beverage for the calcuim content when he was diagnosed with a milk allergy. I didn't like the idea especially, but diligently did as we were told. He was at that time, and still is at 14 months, also being breastfed. We saw the big drop in height/wieght too after the addition of soy beverage to his diet. I e-mailed a dietitian at the Toronto Sick Kids Hospital who indicated that their recommendation is soy formula (if soy is tolerated) until age two. Initially he didn't like the soy formula, but I gradually added the formula to the soy beverage in his cup and increased the ratio over time. He now accepts the formula as is after about a month of mixing it with the soy beverage.

Hope this helps.