Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Sunscreen
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:03 pm 

Sometimes life just isn't fair.

My nine year old has this weird rash. Apparently it was caused by either the polysporin I applied to a rash on his wrist -- or the sunscreen we have recently started using again. Apparently, any lotions or creams he uses must be OIL FREE. I have to pick up a prescription anti-biotic cream for him and try it for eight weeks. If that doesn't clear it up, he goes on an oral antibiotic.

This is a condition that he will have for the rest of his life -- put oil on face and he gets this rash and needs antibiotic.

Now for the question.

The dermatologist said that both Ombrelle and Nutrogena have some oil-free sunscreens. Anybody know what they are? (I'm gonna guess they're the most expensive ones just because that's the way things are going right now. :roll: )

Note to Moderator: I know this is not allergy related -- but who else knows as much about ingredients as people on an allergy forum. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:39 pm 

Not a problem about the post, but I would maybe put this in the Shopping section - your call, AM. Let me know if you want me to move it.

I'm sorry that your son has this issue. That really seems challenging, actually, as I would guess that there is oil in a lot of skin-care products. (I hope I'm wrong!)

As for the sunscreens, as far as I know, Nutrogena isn't that expensive, nor is Ombrelle. They're not bargain basement creams, but not top-of-the-line either.

Good luck!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:02 pm 

ombrelle is your probably your best bet because they have a kids line, and they're packaging is clearly marked, and the oil free ones are also fegrence free, and goes up to spf 60, personally i don't like ombrelle cause their fregrance free has an odd chemical smell to it

nutragina is all very expensive, and you get very small packages for what you pay, i tend to use it for my face to prevent acne in the summer time, it just gets to expensive to use as a main sunscreen i've only noticed up to spf 55 and they don't have any lines for kids

other brands that do have oil free is

coppertone they have up to spf 45 for body and 30 for face, it's really reasonably priced but have that sunscreen smell, and the oil free one is from their adult line (this is what i use)

the walmart no add brand has added scent free oil free line new this year, my sister uses this for my 20 month old neice with eczema although it's not made for kids it can be used for them, and it goes up spf 45 and it's really cheap

just another thing to look for in sunscreen, one of my co-workers reacts to sunscreens but it's an additive that is in many called PABA you might want to talk to a dermotoligst about this being part of the problem. she's told me a little about it, and it's actually a pretty common problem for people who use sunscreens.

for my sunscreen i'm not allergic, nor senstive to the smell i'm just really picky about what i use!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:32 pm 

Hi,
My son reacts to the Ombrelle sunscreen (kid and adult version). I believe that it is the PABA in it. I found Aveeno baby which has no paba and he doesn't react. It doesn't feel very oily but I'm not sure if there is any in it. My allergist also recommended Neutrogena but I haven't tried it yet since the Aveeno Baby is working.

Clara
Boys' mom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:08 pm 

I managed to get in touch with someone at Ombrelle. I was told the lotion spray SPF 30 (in the red container) is the only one she is sure is oil free. I haven't heard back from Nutrogena yet.

If it was the PABA, or some problem other than what the doctor said, I would expect problems on other areas of his body. This rash originated in the corner of his nose, then spread around the top and bottom of nose, and is currently trying to get a good hold around his mouth. She didn't ask me the progression -- she told me.

The only reason I think it might have been the polysporin I applied to his wrist is because I was putting it on at bed-time, and he often sleeps with his hand near his face, so he would be rubbing some of it onto his face.

I also realized, I now have to check insect repellent. Since he's allergic to bugs, that's an important one for him.

<sigh>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:05 pm 

My girls (and me) are fine with ombrelle and california baby (who also makes a bug blend sunscreen).

AnnaMarie, personally I get horrendous rashes from sunscreen sometimes. I've managed to figure out that I absolutely NEED to use new sunscreen (not one left over from last season). I'm guessing that is has to do with mold and bacterial growth. Sometimes I'll use a bottle and be fine with it...and then the next season... RASH.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:39 am 
Site Admin

Are you sure it's not impotego?
http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/infect ... etigo.html

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:30 pm 

Definitely not impetego. But, if I had any doubts, both the gp and the dermatologist would have recognized that.

Anyway, got a some possible good news a few minutes ago. I called SC Johnson about the Off! repellent that we use. Their ingredient list does not include any oils, however, some things (I'll guess fragrance) is secret and even they don't have that list. Proprietary is the word I think she used. However, they can contact the companies and find out whether a particular ingredient is in it. It probably means this stuff will be off our list -- frangrances almost always use oil.

I may be going overboard here -- maybe it doesn't need to be avoided as strictly as an allergen. Maybe I'm just an all-or-nothing kind of person. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:08 pm 

Well, it's been two days and here's where we are.

Went shopping yesterday and found this tiny little stick by Nutrogena. It is an oil-free sunscreen for the face. Little stick (like deodorant) for $14. :shock:

Went shopping today. Found full-spectrum (UVA/UVB) oil-free, perfume-free cream by Coppertone. Recognized by the Dermatogy Association (or whoever it is that tests sunscreen for effectiveness -- it's got that symbol on it). Full-size bottle $8. Relief -- priceless. :D

Good news is, he will be well-prepared for the acne troubles of puberty.

Bad news is, he will not be able to grow to be a clown.

I have survived with my sick-sense of humour still intact. My apologies to all. :P