You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: help interpreting RAST
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:25 pm 

My 20 month old was just retested using the RAST. He was first tested at 7 months old so they did an update after one year to see if anything changed.

None of his current allergens went away & some increased (numbers are out of 6; first number is first test second number is latest test). Doc said don’t read too much into the numbers given they do not predict type of reaction.

Peanut: 4/4
Egg: 4/4
Milk: 3/5
Soy: 2/3
Oat: didn’t give it to us
Wheat: 4/5

His two new allergies:

Turkey: 2
Cat: 4

I know the number doesn't predict severity of the reaction. But does it predict whether he will ever outgrow the allergy? I know he is still very young but I was distressed to find that some of his numbers increased like they did. I would assume when someone outgrows an allergen they numbers decrease over time? right? Does anyone have experience with this? Did your child still outgrow the allergen? :?

Thanks!

Me allergy to morphine only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:03 pm 

I had a consult with the allergist to discuss the RAST results.

Basically they don't know anything. I don't mean that to come across as mean spirited rather they are saying that they just don't know why his tests came out the way that they did but that it doesn't mean he won't outgrow his allergies. It also doesn't mean he will outgrow them

I asked her how it was possible for his milk number to go up so much when we have been avoiding all milk products. She said maybe there is microscopic amounts of milk in something we are giving him or not they just don't have the knowledge they need to explain why results are what they are. Rather all they can say is whether the test is positive or not.

She also mentioned that the recent work that is coming out of Duke on desensitization is calling into question the whole theory of strict avoidance = increasing the chance of outgrowing the allergy. Of course she was not in anyway suggesting we give him small doses of his allergens, rather just pointing out that 5 years from now the advice might be different.

So I guess we will just sit tight.... :roll:

Me allergy to morphine only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:50 pm 

It is so hard when there really aren't any answers, isn't it? I think all you can do is follow the current advice and keep him away from his allergens.

That, and pray that one day there will be a lot more concrete answers about allergies!!

K.