You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Faking it?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:45 pm 

Ok - DD is definitely sensitising more. She's also smart enough to "get" that allergies are a concern and something to take seriously...
So, the recent bout of "but it makes my tongue hurt" is driving me bonkers! Does it really? or is this her new and ingenious way of ending meals?

GRRRR!!!!!

My list of things to talk to the allergist about is growing (tomato, barley)...

I know all kids are different but has anyone had something like this? She's never used her allergies as an excuse before... and her known/diagnosed allergies are all very obviously ana. Thoughts from the board gurus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:32 am 

For the first time this year one of my sons tried pulling the ol' allergy card, when he didn't want to do or eat something. We had a few "the boy who cried wolf" talks, but the bottom line for me was that I can't really tell for sure what's going on inside his body, so I ALWAYS need to take him seriously. I also think that some of his complaints stemmed from anxiety (he was starting a brand new school, and didn't feel safe there yet), and the symptoms of anxiety can sometimes mimic some of the anaphylactic symptoms (upset tummy, feeling "funny', tingly, short of breath). I think he was getting his nervous feelings mixed up with allergy feelings, and then it was snowballing as his anxiety built.

It's late, and I'm not sure if I'm making much sense?! It is possible that your daughter has figured out a way to get out of eating when she doesn't want to (smart girl!), but it is also possible that it is confusion caused by anxiety, or an actual reaction??? So I think it's important to do what it sounds like you already are, which is to take every complaint seriously.

And I hear you on the "bonkers" thing! For a solid month this spring I did the complicated "is he well enough to go to school?" dance with my son every morning (this was over his environmental allergies though). There were days when I let him stay home and could tell in an hour, as he tore around the house yelling and playing that he was perfectly fine, and days when I sent him, only to get a call mid-morning that he was ill, and drive to school to find a paper-white little kid who could barely drag himself out to the car (and this despite our carefully calibrated regime of springtime allergy meds).

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:48 am 
Site Admin

We had one episode whenour daughter was 2 1/2 years old that she looked across the dinner table, with a serious look of concern, pointed to the middle of her chest and said, "It hurts, right here, when I breathe.".
Hmmm... no dark circles under the eyes, no dark lips, no sucking of the skin in between her ribs/collar bones when she breathed... We asked her really? and she answered, "No, not really." It turned out that she had had so many positive experiences at the hospital where the people were nice and gave her stickers. (at one hospital they gave her a stuffed bunny in a tutu and at another hospital they gave her a doll that you can write on with washable markers) To a 2 1/2 year old that's a good day! We told her that we would buy her stickers but that she shouldn't say she's sick unless she is.

Take your daughters statements as true but try to verify her statements with physical symptoms. Does her tongue get itchy when she eats tomatoes in a sauce but not as ketchup or when sliced? Does she enjoy cereal with barley flour but plain cooked barley is causing her concern? Obviously, I don't mean to force her to eat more of the offending food when she complains but think back to those foods. Does she only complain at the end of her dinner and never at lunch when she's aeten the same foods? Does she show any sign of hives around the mouth? Definately follow up with the Dr.

Perhaps you should tell her that she can stop eating the food but that she needs to stay at the dinner table under her fathers supervision while you prepare a bag to take to the hospital. If you take her complaints seriously and go to the hospital to sit 4 1/2 -8 hours in ER (you don't need to see a Dr if nothing manifests but you'll be there if something does, she will either learn that you will take her anxieties seriously and there by help to dimminish them, or she will learn that crying wolf makes for a boring evening.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:14 am 

My son is a bit of a hypochondriac. :oops:
He will say that his throat or tongue feels funny or tummy hurts. When it is throat or tongue, I immediately give Benadryl. With tummy I send him to the bathroom.
So far, that has cured all problems.
I asked the allergist and he said to err on the side of caution with the Benadryl (i.e. give it). He does not like the tase of Benadryl, so he does not complain lightly. He also knows that any complaint means medicine.
There are some foods he consistently complains about despite lack of any (known?) allergens and so I no longer buy them.
He has tried the allergy card with broccoli etc - he is not to be believed!

Stefanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:17 am 

My son has had a LOT of problems with vegetables from the age of 2 until recenlty - he has Oral Allergy Syndrome and was also diagnosed as allergic to potatoes, cucumber, and pumpkin seeds, so anything in those families seems to be fair game. He had problems with apples at times, carrots at times, and even said that broccoli made him feel sick. We actually got him tested for broccoli, believe it or not - negative. A lot of fruit he just won't go near.

But it was really difficult telling the difference between "excuse not to eat yucky veggie" and "true reaction", especially given his history. I mean, the kid loved cucumbers, then started reacting, and then tested positive... So obviously he wasn't always telling tales.

I decided to err on the side of believing him, because I figured that with all that was going on with him reacting to this, that, and the other, he must be very frustrated and confused himself, and to have a parent not believe him would really not help. My husband erred on the side of thinking he was making it all up... We sort of agreed to disagree on that one, but I did explain my point of view to my husband, and I think he was able to see where I was coming from. Momma Bear didn't want to cause her child any more grief.

Once we got the diagnosis of "not allergic to broccoli" from the allergist, we sort of insisted that he try broccoli, but winged it for other things. Cooked carrots seemed okay, raw carrots did not, so we did not insist on cooked carrots. Same for other things.

Now, at the age of 8.5, he seems to have outgrown the cucumber allergy and eats tons of them. Same goes for other veggies - he is becoming quite he salad eater and I'm quite impressed.

So all I can say is that it's not easy. Sometimes they are likely trying to snow you and other times there is a real problem, and obviously anxiety could also play a large role...

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:26 pm 

It is always such a relief to read what you (the collective you) have to say.

Way back when, when she had her first ana reaction to a food with trace (despite GMP which included bleaching the lines), she was tested for almost all the foods she ate around that time. This included a lot of fruit and veg and she was positive to many (peppers, eggplant etc.) We slowly put things back into her diet but like your little guy Karen, there are some things she never goes near no matter how they are prepared (avocado, potatoes - what kid doesn't love potatoes?!).

Presently, she seems to be pretty consistent with her "tongue hurts" tales, so I am logging it all and as Susan says, trying to watch for consistency with context. (She won't eat tomatoes at all but asks for ketchup)

Susan - I love your "good day" story - it's SO TRUE! My little one also loves the hospital, despite the 911 ambulance rides for allergies and long days of ventolin masks for asthma. We re-enact ALL THE TIME and the ER always remarks that they've never seen such a sick kid be so happy. (it prolongs the asthma stays as she inevitably runs up the hall triggering another episode, preventing the masks to be spaced in time enough for an early departure)

We have also used the boy who cries wolf stories and talked about how serious it is to say some things and the potential consequences (Benadryl, epipen...) while trying to do it in a not-scary manner. We do take her seriously - we need to, but it also empowers this card (if it is a get out of dinner-free card). Susan, I like the idea of the packing bags/hospital trip - we will need to do that I think.

Twinmom - I have burned up vacation to keep her home when things seem "off". Mother's intuition is great but not 100%! When I make the wrong judgment call (she really COULD have gone to "school"), I am thankful for the extra time with her; when I shouldn't have sent her, I try to remember that we are doing the best we can and sometimes the environment they go to can tip them the wrong way (in other words, I try not to beat myself up too much).

Sigh - now that I've read your responses, I at least feel like I can develop a strategy around this. It has also clicked - I've been keeping her home for "home days" since I am on mat leave and my DH is a teacher - lots of family time. This also means change in routine and we've been going to a ton of places and eating her home-packed foods there. Although it is a good stress changing routine and doing neat things, perhaps I have pushed her out of her own comfort zone and this is her anxiety manifesting?... or a mix of real symptoms and anxiety.

Have I said thank you lately?