You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:59 pm 

Has anyone tried an allergy prevention diet with their kids? By this, I mean that foods are introduced from least allergenic to most allergenic, in a specific sequence, with 3-5 days of only 1 tsp. of the food at the beginning to be sure it can be tolerated.

We're in the process of doing this with our dd. We began with pureed turkey, on the advice of a nutritionist (lamb is also an acceptable first meat), and carefully moved to sweet potato, pears, white potato, carrots, and rice.

Anyone with a similar food introduction experience?

Last edited by Andrea_MASG on Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:58 pm 

Yes, I delayed introduction of allergenic foods with BOTH my girls. What you said sounds pretty familiar (with the exception we introduced meats last). I know I'll introduce foods in a similar way with my next child...but I'm not sure how many, if any allergies it can prevent.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:45 am 

That's what we did (and still do) with my 14 month old... It helped avoid allergenic foods, but didn't prevent all reactions (she had an allergic reactions when introducing mushrooms and cantaloup). Since we knew from early on (with BFing) that she had food allergies, we skipped a few cereals and were able to see an allergist before introducing milk, wheat and eggs, which she is allergic to. We followed the AQAA's sheet on introducing foods.

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:32 pm 
Site Admin

Well, we (more like 'I') breast fed exclusivley and ended up with Asthma. We gave the Prevnar injections and ended up with multiple ear infections (goes hand in hand with allergies). We introduced milk at 10 months and developed alergies. Never introduced eggs (allergic). Delayed peanut and tree nut until past 5 (allergic). Just introduced split peas (allergic to all beans and peas).
I'm beginning to think that my daughter is the exception that proves the rule. :roll:

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:33 pm 

we have been extremely cautious with our 2nd in terms of no solids until 6 mo, no formula etc and slow over all with food introduction... so far he hasn't shown "true" allergic tendencies but i think they're hibernating (he already has tubes due to multiple ear infections and has be prescribed a puffer on 2 occassions when he caught a cold...)

still, he has now had some "high" allergic foods (some berries, lots of legumes, soy, dairy) without reacting.

for my very allergic daughter, we didn't follow any "allergen diet" (who knew?!) but she had some high allergy foods early (peanuts, almonds, wheat) with no problem (yet, and G-d willing never). mommy-intuition with my girl tells me she was going to be allergic regardless of what we'd done - she had eczema early, severe respiratory infection before she was 2 months, ear infections....

to me i think the benefit of the delay introducing is really that they can communicate and if they react, they are older whereas with a baby, "fussiness" is written off as so many things before you think food intolerance/allergy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:28 pm 

I breastfed my son for 4 years and when I was pregnant with him and breastfeeding I cut all peanuts, tree nuts, and eggs out of my diet... well, my son is allergic to all of the above and more. I was also very careful about when I introduced food... he didn't get a taste of milk until he was over a year old, etc.
He's allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, eggs, potatoes, and oranges, and I think there's more... lately he's been rashier than normal... but that could be the cold weather too. Oh allergies and eczema can be sooo complicated!