You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:05 pm 

I used the Epipen on my 14.5 month old daughter yesterday...
It was an accident at daycare... My daughter was in her highchair after the afternoon snack (as usual because they don't put her down until all bottles have been drank and floors have been cleaned), and a parent put his kids' bottle on the lunch table while dressing him up, and a quick toddler wanted to be nice and give something to my daughter to play with, and handed her the bottle. This happened in less than a minute, and the daycare workers saw it too late... Anyways, long story short, we don't know if she actually drank from the bottle (I think she probably did), but I walked in about 2 minutes later and noticed her cheeks getting flushed quickly, and she looked 'different'. Soon she started rubbing her eyes, and breathing became labored a little...

At one point, I just had to do it... Pull off the safety cap... give it a good tug in the thigh... and it was overwith...

An ambulance ride and 4.5 hours of observation later, she was back to herself, sleeping peacefully... with nothing more than a little bruise on her thigh...

I hope I never ever have to do it again, but now I have great confidence in the Epi, seeing work so quickly. I'm also glad I walked in at the right time at daycare to be able to care for my baby, and to do a "show and tell" to the daycare workers about what to do in case of emergency... Overall, I'm really tired physically today, but I think I'm okay and at peace that it was an accident, and IF it were to happen again, people that care for her will know what to do...

Sorry about getting long-winded, but I ust had to share my story with people that understood...
Thanks,

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, you did the right thing and I'm glad that she's OK.
What a wake up call for the daycare that was. I'm sure they will be more careful when little ones are eating. It only takes a few seconds.

By the way, our allergist tells us to stay at the hospital for 8 1/2 hours incase of bi-phasiac reactions. He says to stay even if they say it's safe to leave.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:57 pm 

Good for you! You should be proud that you were able to take control and do what needed to be done. Situations like that can certainly be stressful.

I've also had to give our daughter her Epipen and now that I have I'm not afraid of it.

Glad your daughter is ok. Hopefully the daycare will take this as a very serious lesson learned as well.

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:16 am 

WOW. So sorry to hear you had to give the Epi but very glad thing turned out okay. I think you did great in not hesitating in giving the Epi--awesome job. Yes, I do think this incident would make your day care more cautious and aware!

Take care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Kim,

Just catching up on some of the threads. So sorry to hear of your scare, but good to hear that your girl came through the experience so well, and that you were able to react calmly and swiftly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:43 am 

I agree with Gwen - a huge pat on the back to you for having dealt with the emergency so well.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:21 pm 

How are you doing a week after the fact? Sometimes people go through anxiety, depression, or nightmares, etc., after wards. Kind of post-traumatic stress.

If you did or are going through this, I hope you understand it's normal.

Glad you were there to treat her yourself, and you did a great job. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:32 am 

AnnaMarie wrote:
How are you doing a week after the fact? Sometimes people go through anxiety, depression, or nightmares, etc., after wards. Kind of post-traumatic stress.

Thanks everyone for your kind words...

The day after, I actually felt relieved, because now I know what it is... Of course, my husband and I went through the "this is so hard...why us" phase and stress, but now life is back to "our" normal. We re-read the "Welcome to Holland" text (http://www.our-kids.org/Archives/Holland.html) that someone here pointed to me, and it put everything in perspective again. I still hope I never have to do it again!

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:12 pm 

I'm not sure if this will make you laugh or not (maybe one day...), but I had to give an EpiPen to a child (not my own) recently, and it was the first time I had ever given an EpiPen.

Since then I have considered myself to no longer be an "EpiPen Virgin"....

I decided I would rather find some humour in it, once I got over feeling shaky and teary about the whole episode!

K.