Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Valentines Day
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:59 am 
Site Admin

So, Christmas is behind us (I've finally taken down the tree). Today is January 14th which means one month until Valentines Day.
I will send a note asking the teacher what her plans are regarding this holiday and reminding her not to give our daughter any treats unless they are sent from home.
It has me wondering what are other people doing?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:48 am 

I'm going to send home a little non-food gift (like pencils or something) to all the classmates thanking them for keeping her safe. I loved this idea when someone wrote about it for Christmas but I missed the boat then.

Our school council is also planning a family dance during that time as a fundraiser. I am on the school council, fundraising committe & dance committee and I'm happy that my presence has been making a difference. The school will be having a cake raffle since it was a big money maker, but at least it'll be done at the family dance when the parent's will be there to take them home. No worries about a child taking home a cake, eating it on the way home or dropping it to make a huge food mess. We'll also be selling glow necklaces (non-food - yippee!) and I'm very proud of the team because in the short time that I've been with them they've already become more aware of food allergies and asking me if various food items would be safe to sell :D

THis is a bit off topic but I think many of the ladies on the council are more aware of food allergies now because over the Christmas holidays I was invited to take part in a cookie exchange which I happily accepted. May sound strange since we'd never allow any of the cookies in our house. When I accepted the invite I said I'd participate and due to our family allergies all the cookies I'd be receiving would be going to my Dh's work! But it was a great opportunity because the topic of allergies did come up and I had a very receptive and interested crowd to educate :)

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:50 pm 
Site Admin

What a great idea! To take a normally exclusionary situation and turn it into a learning experience. I'll bet they were interested to sample your allergen free baking, too.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb