You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:44 am 

I have anaphylactic allergies to tree nuts, fruits, etc plus many many many more food allergies... I am 5 months pregnant. I am so scared that I am going to pass on my allergies to my child.

At what point do you introduce these foods into your childs life? What are the statistics of these allergies being passed on? How do you cope with inlaws that don't believe that your allergies are real, and how do you explain to them that they can't expose their upcoming grandchild to the same foods?

So many questions? Please help. My anxieties are getting the better of me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:05 pm 

Are you going to have baby in the Hospital? If you are what food plans have you made?
I know that if any hospital time is required for me my Husband is going to bring in a crock pot for me to ck my own food. The last time our hosp almost killed me.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:03 pm 
Site Admin

Momofhalfadozen makes a good point that your birth plan should have a plan for you to get healthy 'safe' foods fwhile you are at a hospital.

As for what to eat during your pregnancy, while breast feeding or introducing foods to your baby, there are as many opinions as there are experts.

I would suggest you speak to your allergist about your concerns of your child possibly having a food allergy. Meanwhile, here are a few discussions other mothers have had. If you go to the top of the page, you will see a search button. You can enter key words to find threads about various topics.

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3044

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=2433

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1228

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=1857

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3191

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=2935

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:49 am 

Pregnancy can be a very stressful time. It is easy to become overwhelmed with preoccupations over the health of your baby. For me it was hard to "let go" and realize that for the first time in my life I had little control over my future! My advice would be to just take things one step at a time. You are already avoiding many possible allergens by the fact that you are allergic, yourself. Your allergist/doctor will be able to guide you when your baby starts solid food- it is recommended that all children avoid nuts/peanuts until the age of 2.

I was very anxious during pregnancy but once DD was born and I was able to see and hold her, all my worries melted away. I felt like I was able to cope with whatever life threw our way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:35 pm 

You may very well pass on atopy--the tendency to have allergies.

Specific allergies aren't passed on. If you and your child are allergic to the same thing, it's really just a coincidence.

My husband and I are both atopic, so there's a good chance that our son will have allergies of one sort or another. We can just bide our time.

I'm giving his immune system the best possible start by breastfeeding. He just turned one year this past week and he's still going strong! He eats some solids, of course, but we waited until he showed readiness signs, rather than picking an arbitrary calendar date.

Good luck and congratulations!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:10 am 

Strong,

Just wanted to let you know that despite my nut and fruit allergies, none of my 3 children have any allergies! There is hope. My oldest was allergic to milk and eggs as a baby, but grew out of them by age 3. No sign of anything else since. (They are 16, 13, and 10 now.)

Unfortunately, many women experience lots of "mommy guilt". Try to give yourself some slack--we are not responsible for how everything turns out. Sometimes the fates determine results and you shouldn't beat yourself up for them. The nice part is, there are way more wonderful things about having a child than there are negative. Good luck with everything.

Soccermom