Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:45 am 
Site Admin

For anyone not in the loop... I'm NOT a kook... either. (well, not always)

Quote:
So...discussions about homeschooling are still welcome here, right? .

Absolutely! Talking Allergies is a place to come to discuss all aspects of allergic living. It is a place to vent, rage, offer advise and ask questions. While we are not medical professionals we are a community of individuals who live this life everyday.

We offer support and empower each other to live our lives as fully as possible.

I have learned so much from this community. I have discussed issues that I had never thought of and in case you haven't already figured out, Saskmommy and I have not always been on the same side of all topics but that's OK. I will never tell another mother how to raise her children (I might strongly suggest something like the rule No autoinjector = No food).

I hope that although we don't always agree (what a boring world that would be), we can always be supportive and friendly in our discussions.

I have never been in a forum that is as friendly and cooperative as this one and I am proud to be a part of it. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:47 am 

I am SO appreciative that I can come to the Allergic Living forum and find the support and information I need (that's why I've been visiting this forum for almost 3 years!! :) ) Differing opinions are welcome and interesting, and I think we can all learn so much from one another. Allergic Living has been my lifeline... I felt like I was floundering out there all on my own, so, I was so relieved to find a place where I could discuss issues and concerns of EVERY sort. I admire and respect the opinions shared by our group. I hope we always continue to be able to express our opinions in a mutually respectful fashion. I have to admit there have been a handful of discussions that I felt were beginning to move away from the mutual respect and support of one another for our INDIVIDUAL decisions, so I will back right off the topic and will choose to not continue in the discussion. However, 99% of the time, I feel our group is supportive and friendly and we treat each other respectfully.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:02 am 

Of course discussions about home-schooling are welcome on the forum.

I have to admit, when I saw 'total strangers" in Susan's post, I naturally assumed that she didn't mean anyone from this forum. since we are far from total strangers to each other! :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:26 pm 

Hi everyone,

I've recently joined a parent support group for home schoolers in my area. It was SO exciting to meet such a warm, creative, intelligent and fun group of people. All of them are so amazing in the ways they enrich their childrens' lives. On top of that, they are so open to doing what they can to *safely* help socialize my little ones and expand their 'bubble' (something that logistically couldn't happen in mainstream schooling).

Several times a week, aside from regularly scheduled events (i.e. gym etc.), parents are hosting events/activities (from skiing, to an art club at the local art gallery, to music and dance lessons, to trips to the weather network, to winter games ... and the best part of this is that these activities happen during the day ... no need to juggle home work and extra-curricular activities in the evenings, which I've heard can be daunting)! :D These kids get MORE quality socialization that I could imagine. And how great for all these kids to have such a loving community to grow up with (..."It takes a village to raise a child" ...).

I realize home schooling is not for everybody, but Saskmommyof2 (and a few others on the forum), you have been great role models in helping me start this journey. Thanks for your openness in discussing such an amazing world on this forum.

BTW ... If anyone has school aged + high school kids, you might find this interesting ....

www.linktolearning.com

(and sorry if someone's already posted it before).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:18 pm 

Panacea, I'm so glad that you have found such great support with the home schoolers parent group - and such good role models here! :)

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:31 am 
Site Admin

Panacea-
Quote:
Several times a week, aside from regularly scheduled events (i.e. gym etc.), parents are hosting events/activities (from skiing, to an art club at the local art gallery, to music and dance lessons, to trips to the weather network, to winter games ... and the best part of this is that these activities happen during the day ... no need to juggle home work and extra-curricular activities in the evenings, which I've heard can be daunting)! These kids get MORE quality socialization that I could imagine. And how great for all these kids to have such a loving community to grow up with (..."It takes a village to raise a child" ...).

I think that this is one of the lesser known facts about home-schooling and something many people fear wouldn't happen.
I'm glad you have found the support to follow through with this. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:47 pm 

I'm so happy for you Panacea. I too dearly love our local homeschool support group. We've made amazing friends we wouldn't have known otherwise. Friends who are willing to include my kids. We went to a valentines party last week. The mom planning it called me to make sure we would be able to come. The party was "fruit only" and the kids played games, did crafts, exchanged valentines and had a great time!

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.