Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Mad science Group
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:01 am 
Site Admin

I'm not sure really where to put this but as it is aimed at children I wil place it here for now.

Our daughters school sent home some brochures on lunch programs and I just want to say that after contacting the Mad Science Group about my concerns (children from many classes together after just eating) I came away feeling they are very allergy aware.

Inded the lady I spoke to on the phone has a child with food allergies.

I will keep you posted as to how this pans out.

http://www.madscience.org/locations/ottawa/

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:18 pm 

My son is in Mad Science right now. I asked when I signed up if there was any food. They said, 'no but double check with the instructor the first day'. I asked the teacher the first day and said, "I heard there is no food but just want to make sure because my son has LTFAs." the instructor said there wasn't any food. 2nd class she brought marshmallows. "There aren't any allergens in here, are there?"

:shock:

I was upset. She went through the list of things she uses and said there was no more food. Last class she used corn starch. Luckily I know the brand and it was only used for Mad Science, not from the instructor's kitchen.

I would call and make sure to talk with the instructor ahead of time to be sure about any food used or not used. I wish she had told me about the marshmallows ahead of time so I could have called the manufacturer sooner than *while* the lesson was taking place. Didn't find out till a week later that Target brand should be free of my son's allergens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:17 am 
Site Admin

Yep, I did call and there is one activity where there use food, creating spun sugar.

I have had the ingredients read to me but advised that if I sign her up I'd submit my e-mail and request the ingredients be scanned and e-mailed to me.

I am also happy to come down to their office and review it there too.

I will also supply wipes for the children entering the (peanut free) classroom to use to wash their hands.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb