You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:50 pm 

My daughter's asthma flared up in the last couple days, and she fights the AeroChamber (tube & mask)... She'll pull the mask off her face and yell her lungs out! If I hold her down, she gets even more mad and wiggles way to much for me to hold the mask in place for 4-6 breaths!! I don't want to make this a fight, but I want her to get the proper dosage of medication... I tried 4 times this morning, and I guess she got enough medicine in the couple good breaths she took, but I hate having this being such a struggle...

Anyone have a trick to get toddlers to stay put while giving them medications?

Thanks!

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:07 pm 

We told our son (he was around 2 at the time) that the aerochamber was a SCUBA mask. We got him to take breaths of air like SCUBA divers do when they're under water. Maybe there is something that she likes to do that you can draw a similarity to? When I want my son to take deeper breaths, I'll sometimes say I want him to pretend he's blowing up a balloon in his belly. Hope this helps some...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:28 pm 

Will she be more compliant if she is watching a favourite tv show or video? That's what one of our babysitters did with my youngest... She said it worked like a charm.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:47 pm 

Can you swaddle her? We had to do it with our daughter when she was 1, just a few times. We also put the mask on one of her teddy bears and "showed" the teddy how to take the puffer properly. My daughter also took on the responsibility of shaking the puffer to help us out.

Our daughter is having trouble with seasonal allergies right now. Is it possible that this is affecting your daughter's asthma? We received our first pollen report from the weather network this weekend. Just a thought.
Kate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

Our daughter was scared of the nebulizer mask in the hospital. It was noisy, steaming and smelled funny. She didn't want us to cover her mouth and nose when she couldn't breathe either.

She fought us with the aerochamber mask too. At first we reorted to using it on her when she was asleep. Eventually, we introduced it during play time when there was no pressure to use it. This helped to over come the fear and make it something that belongs to her, not something that happens to her.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:26 pm 

katec wrote:

Our daughter is having trouble with seasonal allergies right now. Is it possible that this is affecting your daughter's asthma? We received our first pollen report from the weather network this weekend. Just a thought.
Kate

She hasn't been diagnosed with seasonal allergies... yet... but she had a bad cold, and then the weather started to warm up, so which is it that triggered the flare up, I don't know...

BTW, thanks everyone for all your tips, she's 18 months, so some of them probably won't work until she's a little older, but it's still worth a shot!

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:47 pm 

There is a great book called "Call Me Brave Boy" by Jenny Shinder about asthma. It is given free at CHEO. It's a funny story about a boy how suffers from asthma and a doctor dressed up as a clown waltzes in with a puffer in hand. I remember my son being thrilled when he recognized that it was the same as his.

Role playing is also always fun at that age. You can play with her favorite doll or teddy bear and pretend they have asthma and need help with their puffer. She can be the doctor how shows her doll how to do the puffer, and then you reverse the roles. She might just let the doll give her her puffer!!

Good luck

Denise