You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:16 pm 

I don't quite know what to make of a skin rash that ds came up with on Friday. We were visiting friends and she gave a meal that had things that are generally safe (his allergies are tree nuts, eggs, fish)- there were cold cuts, which can carry a risk but pretty small; I gave him the crackers I brought because bakery bread is not something I'll give him, they took the mayo off the table when I mentioned we should get a separate knife for it to prevent x-contamination, etc. For dessert she had prepared a bowl of strawberry jell-o for him, and the jell-o was used in a cake for the rest of us. (I should have asked to see the box of red jello, but didn't remember).

About an hour later as I was getting him into his car seat, I noticed red spots around his mouth, a few on the neck & chest. They were not hives - that is our usual symptom; the raised, bug-bite sort of things - these were flat red spots. I asked him if anything hurt or felt funny & he said no - he wasn't itchy, tingly, in pain or anything. The spots were not visible unless you were close. It certainly didn't fit a description of reaction that I know, and I"m still wondering about it.

He was running around for 1.5 hour before hand, and in a jacket that was too hot for him ... but then you'd expect the rash to be on the hot & sweaty part, not the face. So I don't know whether this was a reaction or not.

Any thoughts?

Andie

Post subject: rash
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:15 am 

Hi
My daughter gets rashes from just about anything! She scratches most days! When we see something like this we just watch carefully for any other symptom and then is there are use the epi-pen. These are not easy decisions, go with your gut.
Kim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:36 pm 

Hi Andie,

Our sons' hives don't always look like the typical round red wheal with raised centre (bug bite). Sometimes they are more like splotches, or tonnes of tiny red dots. Here is a link to some pictures of different ways that uticaria can look.

http://dermis.multimedica.de/dermisroot ... agnose.htm

So the flat red spots you saw on your son might have been hives presenting in a different way?

Our sons have many environmental allergies, and one has physical urticaria, so we sometimes see hives on them that have nothing to do with their FAs and don't pose any risk for anaphylaxis, but we always observe carefully with epipen in hand, as Kim said. BUT if I had any suspicions that they had been exposed to/ingested one of their food allergies (i.e. eating a new processed food), I wouldn't hesitate to give the epipen right away.

Does your son have contact reactions? If the rest of you were eating foods that contained his allergens, it is quite possible that one of you may have accidentally touched/kissed him before your hands and/or mouths were washed, and caused the reaction.

Also if the cold cuts were sliced at the deli, it is possible they were cross contaminated. They use the same slicer for a variety of different products (some of which can be made with eggs or other allergens).

Anyway good luck figuring it all out. :)

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:02 pm 

Thanks for the reply! Kim, it is so good every now and then to remember "go with your gut" - almost from the time we introduced solid foods I suspected we could have trouble with allergy with my son ... and lo and behold, the gut was right. I know it isn't always the case and you have to really watch, etc. but it is surprising how often the gut is right. My allergist has mentioned this before too - that she feels parents' intuition is usually spot on.

Twinmom, thanks for the link! I checked it out and didn't see anything that really jumped out at me. We have not had any contact allergic reactions in the past. Also, I know that deli cold cuts are at a risk of x-contamination. I have a place I know & trust in town - and I rarely buy cold cuts anyway - so I guess that's why it didn't seem a high risk to me.

I think in the future it will just be easiest for me to bring a lunch for my little guy, and then at the host/hostess' if I can be sure that something is safe for him, he can have that in addition. That way we always have a good option on hand. We've been invited to a friends' for dinner tomorrow night and that is what I'll be doing. Plus I'll be bringing the dessert - which ds is very excited about! He can help me make one of his favourites- egg-free, dairy-free nut-free chocolate cupcakes :)

Andie