You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:13 pm 

We have recently discovered that our son is allergic to dairy, eggs, and peanuts through a blood test ordered by our doctor (haven't been to allergist yet). I am still breastfeeding and have been reading that dairy, egg, and peanut proteins pass through breastmilk. So far what I eat hasn't bothered my son, but to give him the best chance to outgrow his allergies I've read he should TOTALLY avoid all triggers. I plan on breastfeeding him until he's two (he's currently 10 months).

Does anyone have any advise whether I should give up dairy/egg/peanuts too? I want to give him the best chance to outgrow this (if possible), but it's hard living in a dairy/egg/peanut world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:53 am 
Site Admin

Do you have an appointment to see an allergist? Interpretting the results of allergy testing is not an easy thing and many factors come into play. I would recommend that you see an Allergist. Where you prescribed epinephrine?

Meanwhile, here are a couple of threads on the subject.

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... st+feeding

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:13 am 

My doctor sent off the referral form to see an allergist, but don't know when the appointment is yet. I'm just wondering what to do in the mean time. I guess I can't be too careful for the time being.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:53 am 

My son had the same three allergies (egg, milk, peanuts). My opinion would be to remove peanut products from your house and don't have any yourself while breastfeeding. I consumed milk and eggs while breastfeeding. My son was diagnosed with a milk allergy at 6 month and egg allergy at 9 months. Because he had these two allergies, our allergist said not to give him peanut containing products until he was three. My son was diagnosed with a peanut allergy at age 3 at the allergist office and since then I have not had any peanut containing products in my house. He was given an epi-pen for his milk allergy at 6 months and we carry it everywhere we go.

On a good note, he outgrew his egg allergy at age 8 and he will have a milk challenge this Friday, June 27 and we hope he has outgrown his milk allergy as well. I just cannot imagine what it would be like without his milk allergy. Well, I can but I'm scared to get too excited.

I have a few great recipes without milk, eggs, and peanuts. My son is now 11 so I have accumulated a few recipes. I have a great choc. cake recipe if you're interested. It certainly is not easy living with these three allergies and it is a challenge while travelling but we seem to figure it all out. Eating out is nearly impossible as well with these three allergies. Good luck with it all.

11 year old son allergic to peanuts and milk
outgrew egg allergy at age 8
having milk challenge June 27

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:55 am 

I breastfed my allergic daughter for 13.5 months, and I did the elimination diet, meaning I didn't eat anything she could be possibly allergic to. So I went without dairy, eggs, soy, beef, fish, seafood, barley, nuts, sesame and peanuts... because she did react to most of it with eczema flare-up and digestive problems, when I ate those allergens... The only one that I ate while breastfeeding was wheat, because it didn't affect her.

So it's really up to you to get clues from your baby to see if you should completely cut the allergens out of your diet or not...

Good luck!

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm 

Thanks for the advise. I've been avoiding peanuts since we found out about his allergy, and I've been trying to avoid dairy and eggs, but holy cow it's tough. Any recipes would be welcome.

I'm glad to have found this forum. I'm still feeling a little overwhelmed. I've never known anyone with this many allergies before. I'm glad I'm not alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:17 pm 

I've eliminated eggs, dairy, soy because my daughter (6 months old and exclusively BF) has tested positive. I'm also avoiding nuts in case that can help avoid bringing on that allergy.

My allergist told me to avoid what she is allergic to (completely avoid - read labels and all) but didn't tell me to avoid nuts. But that's a pretty easy one for me to eliminate for my own peace of mind.

Its definitely tough, but as the allergist put it, I can consider this a dress rehearsal for what life is going to be life when my daughter starts eating solids. I might as well get our household ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:35 am 

If it were me, I would personally cut all three items out of my diet, and would get the peanut products out of the house.

My youngest had horrible eczema when he was very young (starting at 2 months) and the allergist diagnosed him as allergic to wheat and dairy at 5 months. I cut all traces of both out of my diet and saw his skin improve enormously. He was diagnosed allergic to peanuts and egg and barley about 6 months later, and I cut those out too.

We were very rigourous about avoiding - I did not consume any traces at all while breastfeeding him, for almost 3 years, as I too wanted to make sure that I gave him a chance to outgrow the allergies. It is challenging but do-able. I used to pretend it was like living on the Little House on the Prairie in terms of choices - very limited - but they survived, so we would too.

At 14 months, he got a sip of milk by accident (I thought it was rice milk) and had a full-blown anaphylactic reaction. No one had mentioned to us that anaphylaxis to dairy was a risk, so that was a bit of a shock. We made it to the ER, thankfully, and were prescribed an EpiPen at the hospital.

Now that I am older and wiser, if I even suspected he had consumed dairy, I would give him his EpiPen.

(The good news: he outgrew wheat and barley around 3 years. He is still very allergic to dairy, eggs, and peanuts.)

For recipes:
- Check out the recipes in the Recipes forum here.
- Go to online recipe sites as well. For a list of some, go to OASG Recipe Databases & Cookbooks. There are some sites where you can plug in the ingredients you don't want, which is helpful.
- Check out vegan recipe books and web sites as well.

If you are looking for specific recipes, post your query in the Recipes forum and we will try to help. If you are looking for products, check out the Egg and dairy allergies forum for ideas, or the Shopping forum.

Good luck, and I'm glad you found us!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:15 am 

I breastfed an allergic child for 4 years! I avoided eating peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, eggs, and potatoes. We also discovered that he was allergic to oranges and I had to give these up as well. We have since discovered new allergies. :(