* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Allergy testing
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:12 pm 

How accurate is the skin scratch test?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:38 pm 

When my son was 2 years old he went for skin scratch testing and tested positive for egg, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shell fish, potato, and others.

He just went through another round of skin scratch testing and this time he tested positive for egg, soybean, wheat grain, corn grain, and potato, and others. He did not react to the peanuts, tree nuts, fish or shell fish. He is now almost 6 years old.

Please help!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:17 pm 

I have read that the scratch test is only about 50% accurate for positive results. That is why a diagnosis looks at more than the test. There is a family history taken along with any other signs of allergy (has the child reacted to the specific food, have ezcema or asthma). A Rast test will also help the allergist with a diagnosis. When a scratch test is done there is also a positive and negative control test done too. Did the allergist not explain this to you? It's amazing how little info is passed on sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:18 pm 

My son has asthma and eczema as well as the food allergies. His first reaction was to egg at around 1 year of age.
When my son first went to see the allergist at age 2 he went through the testing and I avoided everything that he tested positive for... he improved dramatically.
I only took my son to see the allergist twice in his entire life. I was supposed to take him back six months later but never did.
A few months ago a a new allergy appeared, pineapple. Kevin is now almost 6.
So this trip back to the allergist was only his second.
I have been doing most of my own research and so far what I've been doing has been working.

So this means that he is possibly allergic to soybean, wheat, and corn???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:40 am 
Site Admin

SPT's are not conclusive on their own.
I had this discusion a few months back with our allergict as allergy testing is so subjective and there can be false positives and negatives.
An allergist uses more that a single test to determine a diagnosis. They take into concideration many things such as history, past exposures, other medical conditions and possibly RAST testing.

An allergist may do a SPT to determine the likelyhood of an allergen. If the test is negative he/she may recommend a challenge in the Dr's office. This is the gold standard of tests and if there is no reaction then the patient is declared not allergic.

When looking at the risk of anaphylaxis, the Dr conciders a patient with asthma more at risk even if the asthma is well controlled. The airway is already compromised and twitchy.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:41 am 
Site Admin

kmommy
Quote:
When my son was 2 years old he went for skin scratch testing and tested positive for egg, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shell fish, potato, and others.

He just went through another round of skin scratch testing and this time he tested positive for egg, soybean, wheat grain, corn grain, and potato, and others. He did not react to the peanuts, tree nuts, fish or shell fish. He is now almost 6 years old.

So, has the allergist discussed a RAST or a challenge for any of the fods which he tested negative to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:06 am 

_Susan_ wrote:
kmommy
Quote:

So, has the allergist discussed a RAST or a challenge for any of the foods which he tested negative to?

No, he hasn't. Heck, I didn't even understand what RAST meant until yesterday.
When he had the original testing done at age 2 he only tested 1mm on all but the egg (that one was 2mm).
My son accidentally challenged himself with a peanut (M&M he had got his hands on at a b-day party) to which he only got a bit of a rash on his face, thank goodness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, I'm glad that he was OK with the peanut, but I would avoid the foods until an allergist has determined that he is no longer allergic.

It might be worth investigating (with the allergist), it would be nice to not have to worry about foods unnecessarily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:20 pm 

_Susan_ wrote:
Wow, I'm glad that he was OK with the peanut, but I would avoid the foods until an allergist has determined that he is no longer allergic.

It might be worth investigating (with the allergist), it would be nice to not have to worry about foods unnecessarily.

With the nuts and fish I feel more comfortable just avoiding them altogether, at least for now. It would be nice to not have to avoid them anymore, but I don't think I feel comfortable enough testing that out, kwim? I think it might confuse him too, and I really don't want to do that.