You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Medic Alert
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:33 pm 

I'm in the process of ordering a medic alert bracelet/necklet for my daughter. She would prefer the necklet but it says that they don't recommend it for children under 10. She's 7. Anybody out there have the necklet for kids under10? Is it because the necklet is to long for younger kids?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

I would be concerned with it catching on some playground equipment. We got dd the sports band in her favourite colour.
I like that it is visible unlike a necklace which can be dropped inside a shirt.
I like to think that she will see it when picking up any food or beverage and it will be a last minute reminder to check the ingredients if she hasn't already done so. (she is actually very good at this)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:47 pm 

As much as I also like the style of the necklace, I think the wrist band/bracelet is for all day, everyday, every purpose use. For example, in gym class at my daughter's school (my non-allergic daughter), no jewellery is permitted with the exception of the medic alert bracelet. If the medic alert bracelet is worn, they are required to wear a tennis sweat band over top, or tape it to their wrist. The same would not be true of the necklace. The only other option would be to order both? and wear them on different occassions? Have you checked out the medic alert website? There are many styles to choose from now... for our 3 year old son, we ordered one of the kids wrist bands with whales on it - he loves it. There are also some girls wristbands with flowers on it. There's also one that looks something like the charm bracelets the girls now wear (or that might have been offered on a trial basis only - not sure if it's still available).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:17 am 

You will need to weigh the pros and cons of the necklace. One thought, isn't it better to have compliance with a necklace than noncompliance with a bracelet? You know your child best and what will work for her as well as what you are comfortable doing. I do like the suggestion of more than one as that way your daughter can make some choices. And you could set the ground rules of bracelet on gym days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:18 am 

I wanted to mention that the FIRST place paramedics look is the wrist. After checking both wrists - then they look for a necklace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:20 pm 

just my little input: a necklace you can take it off real easily as compared to the actual bracelet... I personnally noticed that when I was trying the necklace (had no choice when working in the food industry... couldn't have a bracelet), I was wearing it in my pockets half the time, forgetting to put it on... and that's when I actually remembered to grab it in the morning. I went back to the real bracelet because I didn't feel safe forgetting it that many times...

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:43 am 

I just opened my November issue of a Canadian magazine and a company from Alberta combines a medical ID bracelet with a charm bracelet. Their website is www.juneabee.com Although it does not have the benefits that come with being a member of Medic Alert it will still relay some important information in an emergency and may be appealing to your daughter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:36 am 

Wow, those are great. We ended up getting her the kids sport bracelet and she's doing fine with it. I know she would have preferred this one though. When she outgrows the sport bracelet I will look into this for sure.

Thank you very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:27 pm 

Glad to hear that you have found something that works. Perhaps this might be a great holiday gift for your daughter from someone. Since they wear these things everyday it might be nice to have more than one style......just a thought.

Post subject: Medic Alert
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:28 pm 

I have the bracelet. My husband, the neck-lace. Mine never is off my wrist for 30 some years. My husband, also for 30 some years. I have no idea where he put his, because he has the habit of taking it off due to getting in his way. Something to think about.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:45 pm 

Medic alert has come out with a whole new line - watches for adults instead of bracelets and these really [b]neat looking bracelets for kids [/b]and active sports people. Just rec'd my booklet in the mail.

I myself wear a silver bracelet. Bought that because is looks nice when dressing up. Could not afford the gold.

There is even a contest on now, I think, allowing young children to enter by designing the strap. Just check of the medic alert website, it should be all there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:44 pm 

:D Yes, the Medic Alert has come along way from the old styles. I wear a bracelet as the necklace kept getting the way. Silver one sounds nicer.
I also like that the Hospitial can take the card with medical information and copy it for there records when you are admitted. This has come in handy when you can not speak too well when really sick.
Now to just update my spouses Medic Alert information, he never has added his sulpha drugs to his list ! Guess I have to do it....
Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:12 pm 

I just ordered a kids sport band for my daughters.

http://www.kidsprotect.ca/en/home.html

My oldest daughter has one, that it not an official medic alert one and it only says "food allergies" on it. It is also gold, and not the best option for an active kid. The new one (sport band ) has detailed allergy info, and medicine she uses is on file ( i don't think that the medicine is engraved but we'll see when I get it ). It also includes that she has cold urticaria. Also, all parent contact info is on file too, as well as family doctor and allergist contact info. It is way better than the one we currently have.

I ordered the zoo one for my oldest, and the flower one for my youngest.

I searched through the application form and found the best price under "packages...kids". It was cheaper than trying to pay for bracelet and membership seperately. Also, you can apply for financial assistance, and if you qualify, your bracelet and membership can be free for your child.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:36 am 

I'm looking at ordering for my son and noticed the kid's sport band sizes -- his wrist is about 5 inches (he's three years) and the whale one says "available in 7" or 8.5" adjustable bands". Does that mean that it adjusts to a maximum of 7" or 8.5"? For those of you that have ordered for your little ones - what size would you recommend? (I'm thinking the 7" one).

How do your little ones handle wearing the sport bands?
Are they really bulky?
Do they ever take them off?
Are they washable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:05 pm 

It means a maximum of 7 inches. Both my daughters have the 7 inch (they are 3 and 5). The extra strap gets folded under, so you definitely do not want too much material. My 3 year old does not like wearing hers at all...but probably because her wrists are one of her common spots for eczema. My five year old is fine with hers. My girls currently wear theirs when they are away from me, at ballet etc. They also wear them if we go on a "special trip" like to a concert to see the doodlebops. I would like them to wear them more...but the eczema on the wrists of my little one makes it quite bothersome to her...I clip it to her coat or belt loops (but I am still with her).