You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:42 am 

I finally got the results today of my children's blood tests.

My DD, now 4, was at 93 for peanut and 14 for egg in June of last year, and now is at 65 for peanut and 5 for egg. I'm cautiously thrilled (if there is such a thing) and the allergist thinks she will outgrow the egg allergy in the next couple of years. He also said she probably won't outgrow the peanut allergy for maybe 10 years, as the number is still quite high.

Is there much validity to these statements? Her egg allergy has improved quite a bit since she was first exposed as a 1yr old, but since the peanut number is still high, I'm scared to have hopes that she will outgrow it. I presume she'll always be allergic to peanuts, and figure I'll be pleasantly surprised if she does outgrow it.

My DS, age 2, has had reactions to tree nuts, and tested positive to most of them in the 1-17 range. He also tested positive for peanuts at 22 (we haven't exposed him to peanut, to our knowledge, except through breastmilk). He also was positive for coconut (IgE=1), which surprised me because he's had coconut water (the sweet clear liquid from the inside of a coconut) several times before with no incident. I was surprised, actually, that the Dr even ordered a test for Coconut as it's not technically a tree nut? I've read conflicting info on whether it is or is not a tree nut.

Another question which I can't seem to find a forum to post in is about treatment. Does anyone know of studies being done in Canada similar to the ones conducted at Duke University (where patients are given increasingly more peanut flour as a means for their bodies to tolerate peanuts)?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:23 pm 

It is possible to have a low score on the test, and not have a reaction. It means that your body has antibodies to the food, but does not react badly. Each food has a different level of acceptable antibodies before an allergic reaction is likely, and you should be able to talk to your allergist about what the level is for each of the foods they tested for. At a score of 1, it sounds like this number is too low for it to cause a negative reaction, and if your little one has had coconut in the past with no reaction, it is very likely the case. Again, check with your allergist, but it sounds like this is one that you can feel comfortable continuing to eat.

Daughter #1 eczema, asthma, and allergic to eggs, dairy, beef, nuts, soy, wheat, dogs, cats, and grass
Husband intolerant to dairy, allergic to grass and dust
Daughter #2 "outgrew" allergy to dairy and egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:11 am 

Yeah only go by reactions. I had a positive test for peanut and I have never reacted to it....

however my score for rice is right under 1, and I do react to that. I guess the range is different for different foods.

I think the scores indicate how likely you are to react, but not if you are or not. you can have a very high score and not react, and have a low score and react. my doctor said they don't really look at scores like that anymore, but always look at the clinical history of the patient and use a positive test as a confirmation.

I wouldn't remove coconut as it is unnecessary if no discomfort is present!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:05 pm 

Thanks everyone. I like the blood test so we can get trend information, like if the number is going up or down.