You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Daycare
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:20 pm 

I am too afraid to send my daughters to daycare. My youngest has reactions while just being arround cooking cheeses and being touched with traces of milk. Obviously kids with anaphalaxis go to daycare. How do the parents and daycares deal?

Evelyne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:10 pm 

I had the same fears when it was time to send my son to daycare. The local daycare refused to take him because they didn't feel they could keep him away from dairy. I offered to send all his own food, but due to nut allergies they had a policy of no homebaked food could be brought in, which would limit what I could send since almost everything we gave him then was made from scratch. Fortunately I met a girl just starting a home daycare and she agreed to give it a try. I lucked out because she makes all the kids food from scratch and she had gone above and beyond what I ever expected. I lent her a milk/egg/nut free recipe book and she went out and bought herself a copy. She calls manufacturers if she's not sure about contamination. There were a couple minor contact reactions (hives, swollen eyes) early on. He did have one ana reaction at her place when he got hold of one of the other kids sippy cups and took a small sip before she could get to him and since then all the kids are now drinking soy. I really think the best thing for me was when the daycare turned us down and that home daycare was the best choice for us.

I know some here have mentioned taking the child's food each day. If you are not going to do that, then be sure to provide the daycare with a full list of ingredients to avoid. I typed it out and had it laminated for her fridge. And be sure they know the signs to watch for and when to epi and that they are trained how to use the epi. DS starts school in 2 years and I heard from one of the teachers that they don't all know how to use the epi. DH was joking that by the time I am done with them they will all know how to use it in their sleep :) Good luck with your search and believe me, it does it get easier once you learn to trust the daycare provider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:39 pm 

My son goes to a home daycare where he's gone since he was a year old and just diagnosed with food allergies. This daycare provider too goes above and beyond to make safe foods for my son. She's also taken onother food allergic children whose parents are amazed that she will do that.

Last summer I started looking for care for when he starts school in September 2009 and I found that I can provide packaged food to the YMCA daycare but most other home daycares flat out said no they couldn't take him when they learned he has food allergies. I'm still working on where he'll go in September.

DS#3 - eggs, cats, dust, eczema, avoiding nuts as a precaution
DS#2 - seasonal allergies
DS#1 - no allergies
Me & DH - seasonal allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

I kept our daughter in a home based daycare at first too. I felt that it was easier to educate one person than a group. I felt the provider would get to know her better and be able to recognise a reaction easier if their were not so many children in the group.

Our first daycare was fabulous! She was a very warm Hungarian woman who was extremely caring and she was very professional. She had a routine and the children thrived under her care. Alas, she wouldn't take school aged children (too hard to push the double stroller through the snow to wait for the bus) and we ended up moving.

I have dealt with issues such as the playroom also being the families TV room and the providers children like to eat popcorn on the sofa by suggesting a throw dedicted to daycare that could be switched over and washed as required.

Some daycare providers were great, some not so great. Trust you gut, if someone brushes off your concerns by stating they "know all about food allergies" and changes the subject, run. Better that they are a bit nervous and willing to work with you. Find someone you can communicate with, this is one of the most important qualities.

We have changed to a afterschool program at a sportsplex near the school. It is good in that I am not at the mercy of one person (we had a fairly good provider but she was often ill). They take kids on PD days at no extra charge. :)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:55 pm 

We were home with our daughter until she went to JK. At that point, we found a babysitter who came into our home to babysit both of our kids. She was a retired neighbour who was looking for some extra work to supplement her pension. We trusted her and she was willing to learn about allergies. My daughter just needed after school care and my son need full days. It was a great arrangement. We paid more for this but the babysitter did laundry for us, ironing and started dinner too. It was wonderful to come home to laundry done and dinner in the oven. It was well worth the money! It was comforting to know that she was in her own home where there were no pets or other allergens. If the kids were ill she would stay with them too.

The downside was that in the second year of our arrangement they decided to move the Maritimes and we had to find care at short notice. In SK she started at our local Y daycare and the staff was excellent. She didn't have to have her lunch there since I only work in the afternoon. But they let us send her own food for snacks.